Respected Contributor

ANOTHER SCAM!!! (OR THE LATEST ON AN OLD SCAM)

Just got a phone call from a person with a heavy foreign accent claiming he was from "the computer maintenance department".  He asked for me by my first name.  Instead of saying yes, I asked "who's calling".  That's when he started his talk and I hung up. 

Just for your information.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER SCAM!!! (OR THE LATEST ON AN OLD SCAM)

For sure more of the same.  I get this call ALL the time, at least once a week.  When I pick up the phone and there's a puase before 'they' pick up/connect I already know who it is and I'm in the process of SLAMMING the phone in their foreign over seas call.

Esteemed Contributor

I had so many of these last year, I decided a lie was in order.  Asian guy would say my computer was unsafe - that it was 'sending out a signal'.  Yaw - it has to do that to connect to the internet. Right?   But I just told him I didn't have a computer - with disbelief in his voice - 'you don't have a computer?"   That's right - slam - he hung up on me so fast.  (no computer - no unsafe computer!)

Honored Contributor

Well, if a person with a foreign accent calls....I will have been forewarned,,,,lol 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt  GOOD ANSWER!!!!

Honored Contributor

LOL.... yup, no computer~!  Great answer!

Since we got rid of our land line we've not had any more of these calls. But we used to get them non-stop and not just from foreign sounding callers.  If they were trying to sell me something, I already had it, already cleaned it, already built it...!   I accept NO solicitation over the telephone.  If I want something or a service, I research it myself and then call the company of my choice.  Period....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

About the "I don't have a computer" answer.  I've used it for several years now and it often works. But last week I got the call again.  Same accent, etc. and first name used. I told him I didn't have a computer and asked that he remove my name from his list.  He called me a liar, said I definitely had a computer, because they can access the email address, which he quoted to me.  I suggested to him that he was a scam artist and violating the law, which would require me to report his phone number. He then called me an f*&%@&  liar, at which point I hung up. My land line phone's caller id has stopped working, so I just don't answer anymore. But these calls are coming from so many different areas and groups it's impossible to do anything about them. They have obviously gotten onto the line that "I don't have a computer".  I have heard that the newer land line phones can differentiate between acceptable numbers to answer and "those other kind". I am going to look for one of those.

Respected Contributor

Talk about a scam... About 2 years ago a window popped up on my husband's laptop saying he had a virus.  He was unable to do anything on his computer.  Just then, we got a phone call - someone with a foreign accent.  He said he was from Microsoft and we had a computer problem that he could fix if we would just give him access to our computer.  ROFL  Hubby gave me the phone and I asked a few questions, then told them if we needed help we would call Microsoft.  Then I hung up.  I turned off my husband's computer, then back on.  Then I ran Malwarebytes and there were no viruses.

We were just amazed that someone could make that window pop up and then call us on the phone immediately after.  That was a new one to us.  

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I had a similar call from "the Windows Operating System" folks.  They told me they noticed my computer's operating system was in danger of crashing because it had been infected by a terrible virus.  He wanted me to give him access to my PC to fix it.  I told him I didn't have a computer.   For about ten seconds there was just dead air.  I said "hello, are you listening?"  He hung up.  Of course I have a computer and he was a crook.  Like I'm going to give him access to my computer. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Have also received such calls, not just once but several times as have my neighbors.

Yes, another scam but it must be one people fall for frequently.