Respected Contributor

Can someone help me learn to dictate a text into my smart phone.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime with Tracfone service.

thank you

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 4/22/17. Dictate a text?

There should be a microphone picture on the top right hand corner where the text appears. Tap it and then you will be able to speak text.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I do something to make mine turn into a smile icon where you can choose emoji's etc!  Then I have to tap it and find the microphone again and select it! It's located at bottom left next to "sym" icon. Once you open text messaging within contact, tap the microphone and speak. Don't know how I manage to "lose" it sometimes but then I'm talented that way! LOL!

Trusted Contributor

There is a microphone icon near the space bar on my keyboard.  Clcik that and then speak.  Be sure to check what ti picks up because I re-read my messages and some tof the words are incorrect.

Honored Contributor

I have an iPhone and I almost always dictate my text messages.  I was making so many mistakes trying to type in a message!  I dictate the punction also.  Love being able to dictate rather than type!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

Can someone help me learn to dictate a text into my smart phone.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime with Tracfone service.

thank you

I'm not 100% sure but first you have to be connected to cellular data or wifi. From home screen say "OK Google" and then you should get a prompt "listening" and then say "send text" and then it'll prompt you again such as "who do you want to send text to?", and so on. 

Just play around with it and send some test texts to friends/family. As long as you're on a home screen on your phone (the screen with "Google" search bar), you should be able to use this function for other things like "OK Google, navigate to nearest Dominoes".

Honored Contributor

On mine (Samsung Galaxy S7) there is a little microphone pic on the bottom of the keyboard.   

I don't have to do any program or anything special.  It's just there.  Click on that and it tells you to begin speaking.

For mine, I have that for texts and emails.  HTH  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Big Sister.

no, you don't need Wi-Fi or U.S. Cellular . .  

I start by going to the Messaging App and opening a blank text. I want to make sure its addressed right, and see the text in text form before I send it.

But yes you can tap Google on your home screen and tell it to send a text message as magis said. 

Look to bottom left of your keyboard display. 

See: Sym, multi-key, comma, space bar . .

You want the multi-key. 

You can press & hold this key to access multiple functions.

OR when the microphone icon is prominent you can just tap this key to access 'speech to text' function.

Speak after the 'ding'.

Say the punctuation marks.

Tap the X above right of the microphone to stop.

Double proof read, as these things are notorious for typing out things you'll swear you never said. 

It will teach you to speak clearly  (lol!)

Respected Contributor

Hello everyone and thank you for your help in teaching me how to text by dictating a message.  I just tried it, found the icon for microphone and it works beautifully.  I tested it and, of course, I forgot to punctuate, so I will not forget to do that next time.  It is so easy to do, isn't it?  I learned something new today and I have all of you to thank.

I love these forums; I have learned a lot because of all of you willing to help us.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Big Sister. Now that you've found the multi-key i wanted to tell you the microphone icon isn't always prominent. Sometimes when you look at the multi-key you'll see the gear icon, or the clipboard. @Gramy24 has noticed sometimes the emoticon icon is prominent. Just don't freak out when you notice the microphone isn't there.
~and, there is a way in the keyboard settings to make the microphone REALLY disappear. It usually takes ppl a half hour to figure out what they did and undo it.