Respected Contributor

While watching QVC I was shocked that a pair of headphones was selling for $240 and it was a Big Deal !!    I feel sorry for parents with children who ask for these items for Christmas.  Years ago I would go to Radio Shack for a pair of replacement head phones for less than $10 for my Walk-Man radio.   Technology is eating us alive. do we really need $1000 phones and music devices ?  

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

While watching QVC I was shocked that a pair of headphones was selling for $240 and it was a Big Deal !!    I feel sorry for parents with children who ask for these items for Christmas.  Years ago I would go to Radio Shack for a pair of replacement head phones for less than $10 for my Walk-Man radio.   Technology is eating us alive. do we really need $1000 phones and music devices?

What people choose to spend their money on is none of my business.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Re: $240 for headphones?

[ Edited ]

I have to laugh at comments about the price of items.  First off they are Apple and just about everyone knows their items come with a high price tag.  There are so many choices out there as to what you are willing to pay.  This goes for everything from clothing, electronics, beauty items, and on and on.  I just concern myself with my own purchase.  It's been this way through time and will continue.

Respected Contributor

Re: $240 for headphones?

[ Edited ]

@Reever 

Many years ago I spent a lot of time in RS... not sure they are even around any more. I use high end headphones for premium sound on audio on my desktop and music. I guess kids want the very best today. I don't have kids but it's a very different world now. I notice the young people have a lot of expensive music studios and   equipment and I mean very expensive things.... I never did at their age (17yrs. old, 21yrs. old, etc.) If they are in college and studying such a subject, that I can understand for their major. 

Radio Shack brought me many a night of glee with my stereo😁 !

(ETA- I'd have rather had children....)

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@rms1954 

I'm at the age now that I may want a splurge.... no husband, no kids, no family and like Albert Einstein says ::: "I'm at the age that if I don't want to wear socks I don't have to." 😁🧦

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

While watching QVC I was shocked that a pair of headphones was selling for $240 and it was a Big Deal !!    I feel sorry for parents with children who ask for these items for Christmas.  Years ago I would go to Radio Shack for a pair of replacement head phones for less than $10 for my Walk-Man radio.   Technology is eating us alive. do we really need $1000 phones and music devices ?  

As my grandmother used to day, "asking ain't getting".  If I had a child who wanted super expensive items, I'd tell them to get a job and buy it. 

Honored Contributor

When it comes to sound reproduction you get to a point where you pay a lot of money for smaller and smaller improvements in the sound. The difference between say $5 headphones and $50 headphones can be pretty dramatic. The difference between $50 headphones and $500 headphones is likely very subtle. I wouldn't pay $240 for headphones simply becase I know I can get perfectly good sound for $50. Some people want "the best" however even if they can't hear a difference.

The old magazine " Stereo Review" used to do double blind listening tests for things like stereo receivers where they'd pair a good $200 mass market receiver against a $2,000 specialty one that was supposedly "the best." Most of the time the listeners couldn't hear a difference and in some cases preferred the sound from the cheaper receiver.

Psychologists call how we hear things a psychoacoustic effect. If people are told by a reputable source that "Item A is better than item B" and are then asked to rate the sound themselves, they'll nearly always claim A is better than B, even if A and B are identical items. Even if A is in fact worse than B, but they're told A is better, they'll say A is better. Subtle differences in volume can make bad speakers played just slightly louder sound better to a listener than a better speaker played at a slightly lower volume. Human hearing is interpreted by the brain and the brain is easily influenced.

Sellers of audio and video gear know the power of suggestion and psychoacoustic effect and exploit it to get consumers to buy more expensive stuff. "This cable is good, but for just $50 more you can get this one which is so much better." Is it better? Generally speaking, no. You can't hear a difference between them in the real world, but if you think one is better your brain will favor that one.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Whenever I see someone wearing headphones, my mind races back to the days of Arthur Godgrey on his radio show and the large, cluncky headphones he wore.  If he's looking down on today's world, he's got to be astounded.

Honored Contributor

Just because someone sells expensive things doesn't mean I have to buy them. What's nice is that I have options...so does everyone else and that's a good thing.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

LOL - I remember what Mom paid for a Cabbage Patch Doll for me one Christmas back when I was little.  Nothing new.  

PS the Apple AirPods are great.  Highly recommend if you listen to music/podcasts/audiobooks a lot (as I do).