Respected Contributor

2/5/17: I need advice on my Samsung Core Prime Tracfone's storage

I keep getting notifications that I have no more "storage" or "memory."

I went to Best Buy this week and bought a SD card 16 gb and talked to one of the clerks there.  He was very nice and told me he doesn't understand why I keep getting that message.

I bought the SD card and he inserted it and then made sure it was working.

Well, I am STILL getting the messages that I am out of storage/memory.

Can someone here explain what may be the problem with my phone?

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: 2/5/17: I need advice on my Samsung Core Prime Tracfone's storage

@Big Sister wrote:

I keep getting notifications that I have no more "storage" or "memory."

I went to Best Buy this week and bought a SD card 16 gb and talked to one of the clerks there.  He was very nice and told me he doesn't understand why I keep getting that message.

I bought the SD card and he inserted it and then made sure it was working.

Well, I am STILL getting the messages that I am out of storage/memory.

Can someone here explain what may be the problem with my phone?

Thank you.

If the hard drive is full, inserting an SD card alone isn't going to solve the problem.  You need to either move or delete the items that are filling up the hard drive.  Photos, videos and music are usually what is taking up the room. 

I don't know anything about synching a Samsung phone.  Perhaps doing a Google search or another poster can tell you how to save the data on your phone so you can delete and regain storage space. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I might be able to help...I don't have a Samsung but I have an LG tracfone.

I added a 32gb (overkill) sd card. Then I manually moved as much storage as possible over to the card.  I went into 'settings' and then to 'apps'. That told me which apps were on internal phone storage and which could be transferred to sd card.  Also switched all music and photos to sd card.  

I also connected my phone to my desktop and then could see everything that was on internal storage and everything on sd card.

This helped me.  But there is a lot on internal storage that takes up space and cannot be moved Smiley Sad

Hope it works out for you.

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister, as @glb613 said:

Most Tracfones come with 8gb of internal memory, and? Many also use of over 4gb of that with what comes on the phone. Doesn't leave a lot of space for large amounts of graphics, especially high resolution video.

I am not familiar with that model Samsung, but one mine I can move those items onto my SD card and regain that 4gb of internal memory not used up by their apps. If you have important ones you want to save, put them on your computer, and if very important, burn/copy them onto a DVD?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut@namaste000, @glb613

Thanks to all of you for trying to help me.  I don't have any music, videos on my phone, just a few photos and I don't think those would lessen my storage to a great extent.

I will try to figure it out with your suggestions.  Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@hckynut@namaste000, @glb613

Thanks to all of you for trying to help me.  I don't have any music, videos on my phone, just a few photos and I don't think those would lessen my storage to a great extent.

I will try to figure it out with your suggestions.  Thanks again.

If you don't have any videos or music, you shouldn't be getting the message.  Is there anyway you check how the storage is being used? 

I had a similar problem with my iPad and the only thing I was able to do to fix it was to reset it.  I know nothing about a Tracfone so I'll stop. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut    Thanks John for getting back to me.  I agree with you that I should not be getting those dire messages.  Even the guy at Best Buy couldn't understand why.  For now, I am planning on ignoring them.  I know I may have to reset the phone.  For now I will just use it for making calls/receiving calls.

If I keep having problems, I will probably look for another good deal on a newer Tracfone by September, when my minutes, etc. have to be renewed.