Frequent Contributor

10/13/ 18 HSN TSV Microsoft Surface Go with Pen, Keyboard and Tech Support

[ Edited ]

All of you tablet/keyboard individuals, Microsoft lovers, everyone!! 

What are your thoughts on this 64 gig ( expandable) Tablet with Keyboard with office for $ 650.00? I am an APPLE lover, sorry to offend anyone, but I’m getting inpatient waiting for Apple to come out with a new updated , perhaps cheaper Apple Air or Apple Macbook(12 in version) computers? HSN is also into their holiday return to January 2019. I am out of touch with Microsoft or whether this machine is a good machine, but MOST of us started our computer lives with Microsoft! They are stating it is brand new version , just came out from Microsoft. Thoughts!? Directions? Apple lovers comments please , all comments are welcomed and appreciated!! Thank you! MJ

Honored Contributor

Re: 10/13/ 18 HSN TSV Microsoft Surface Go with Pen, Keyboard and Tech Support

@MILKI, I'm interested in this too. I have an iPad Air that I got in 2013. I have been waiting and waiting for an announcement of a release date for a new iPad Pro, it seems like the first one was released quite some time ago. I know the second I buy something else, Apple will make their big announcement!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jordan2

Oh I so agree! There are so many rumors on whether or not Apple will have an October event, and I haven’t seen anything definite! Since My earlier post, I’ve looked into this product on HSN. Many mixed reviews, and Microsoft, like Apple charges for each accessory. This particular product is sold at cheaper prices like at Staples, Office Depot, they don’t contain the pen, the cover, which I didn’t realize that it was an extra charge for the “color” keyboard. Most likely, I will pass on this offer and just wait for Apple. But with the return policy to Jan 2019, I am tempted! I would have to be careful as to what would go onto this computer/tablet if I decided to send it back. Thank you for your personal thoughts! Let me know, and anyone else please, what you decided to do. If I decide to order, I will let you know! MJ

Honored Contributor

@MILKI wrote:

Jordan2

Oh I so agree! There are so many rumors on whether or not Apple will have an October event, and I haven’t seen anything definite! Since My earlier post, I’ve looked into this product on HSN. Many mixed reviews, and Microsoft, like Apple charges for each accessory. This particular product is sold at cheaper prices like at Staples, Office Depot, they don’t contain the pen, the cover, which I didn’t realize that it was an extra charge for the “color” keyboard. Most likely, I will pass on this offer and just wait for Apple. But with the return policy to Jan 2019, I am tempted! I would have to be careful as to what would go onto this computer/tablet if I decided to send it back. Thank you for your personal thoughts! Let me know, and anyone else please, what you decided to do. If I decide to order, I will let you know! MJ

@MILKI, it does seem like a good deal with the keyboard and pen. Honestly if I bought this it would be an impulse purchase for me. I do this sometimes, I end up buying something other than what I really wanted. I guess you could purchase it and hold on to it for awhile, maybe Apple wiould have an announcement in time for you to return it to HSN. I really have my heart set on the iPad Pro so I'm going to pass.

Trusted Contributor

I realize I'm late to the party on this one.

I have a Microsoft Surface and Love it.  On the other hand I am not impressed at all with iPads even though I have one.  Take my opinion for what its worth, I realize Apple loyals may not agree with me.  An iPhone is the only Apple product which I actually like using.

The Surface Go is the low end Surface so you may be dissapointed if you purchased it.  You can compare the pricing and models on Microsoft's website.

If you purchase a Surface you will want the keyboard.  The surface is the only tablet I have used that you can effectively use the keyboard since this doubles as a laptop unlike and iPad.

I have a Pen for mine, however, I only use it to sign documents electronically instead of printing and signing with a regular pen.  

Tech Support is not a selling point for me.  I am tech savy enough to figure out what I need.  If I have a question I can google and get my answer.

Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I realize I'm late to the party on this one.

I have a Microsoft Surface and Love it.  On the other hand I am not impressed at all with iPads even though I have one.  Take my opinion for what its worth, I realize Apple loyals may not agree with me.  An iPhone is the only Apple product which I actually like using.

The Surface Go is the low end Surface so you may be dissapointed if you purchased it.  You can compare the pricing and models on Microsoft's website.

If you purchase a Surface you will want the keyboard.  The surface is the only tablet I have used that you can effectively use the keyboard since this doubles as a laptop unlike and iPad.

I have a Pen for mine, however, I only use it to sign documents electronically instead of printing and signing with a regular pen.  

Tech Support is not a selling point for me.  I am tech savy enough to figure out what I need.  If I have a question I can google and get my answer.

I'm not sure what case you are using but, my iPad case has a bluetooth keyboard and it works great.  In fact, it can position the iPad like a laptop computer. 

Trusted Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I'm not sure what case you are using but, my iPad case has a bluetooth keyboard and it works great.  In fact, it can position the iPad like a laptop computer. 

I think either you love or you hate an iPad.  IMO the Surface works way better as a laptop computer than an iPad.  Yes you can position it like a laptop but you can't actually use it like a laptop unlike the Surface which serves very easily as both a tablet and laptop.  I have tried both that thats what I prefer but I understand that there are many Apple lovers who swear by the iPad.   

What I will never be able to understand is those who only use an iPad for an eReader, seems like a waste of money to only use it for that purpose.

Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

I think either you love or you hate an iPad.  IMO the Surface works way better as a laptop computer than an iPad.  Yes you can position it like a laptop but you can't actually use it like a laptop unlike the Surface which serves very easily as both a tablet and laptop.  I have tried both that thats what I prefer but I understand that there are many Apple lovers who swear by the iPad.   

What I will never be able to understand is those who only use an iPad for an eReader, seems like a waste of money to only use it for that purpose.

I don't agree with you but, I'm not going to continue to argue with you about it.  I know a lot of people who only have an iPad and use it like a laptop computer including members of my family. 

Well I got the Microsoft Surface Pro 4(not Go) at QVC in February.  It came with a backlit keyboard and a pen. I loved it until it started having problems about 7 months after I bought it - screen flickering and text on webpages doubling as I scrolled, pages showing through behind the page I was on, really weird stuff. Then a few weeks ago it just stopped working. All I get is a pink screen with the date and when I swipe it to try to turn it on, it just makes a line. The keyboard also stopped working completely. First it just stopped backlighting, then it just stopped completely. I paid over $800 and thought it was a good deal because of the added keyboard and pen. Now I am stuck with it since I can't return after 30 days. I should have returned the first month when I noticed the battery seemed to get very hot but I thought maybe that's just the way it was. And the battery didn't last more than 2-2 1/2 hours. Don't even know if the Microsoft store will help since I bought it at QVC. But as of now, I would not buy another Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Go or anything. Guess I have to go back to Apple products and get the Ipad.

Respected Contributor

@shopperchick check to see it if it under warranty.