Respected Contributor

Why I am returning latest Dooney tsv

[ Edited ]

I’m hoping that someone at Dooney will read this. I’ve already called Dooney and Bourke. I bought my first Dooney in 1980 or so and fell in love with the quality the minute I saw it under glass in the department store. The TSV that arrived the other day is the (supposedly)Florentine”Selleria” satchel. I absolutely love the look and the color (I ordered the saddle tan)  but, as I wrote in my review right after I received the bag, I didn’t care for the finish on the leather which I thought cheapened  the look and feel significantly. I waited, looked at it daily, and tried to talk myself into keeping it. The bag is nice quality and looks wonderful from a distance. But that coating on the leather is so plastic looking. I just can’t keep it. It looks like vinyl. Over time, it will not age well, because you cannot develop a patina or rub out inevitable scratches on this treated Selleria leather vs. real Florentine. 

I compared the Selleria bag, side by side, with other wonderful Dooney bags that I have, including my Florentines and Toscana Florentines  which are so yummy to the eye and to the touch. I have a Toscana Florentine satchel for which I paid $500 in which I never regretted buying at full price I thought it was a bargain then, and I still do. It’s the same saddle tan color as the Selleria tan, and it’s incredibly beautiful and still makes me sigh when I pick it up. It’s even leather lined. Ahhhhhhhh......

I’m not blaming Dooney as much is QVC because I have a feeling that QVC is pushing Dooney to come out with cheaper lines because QVC has some notion of price point that is detrimental to the Dooney brand. As I’ve written before,  my first Dooney cost me to $240 back around 1980, which was a lot of money to me at the time. But Mother always taught me to buy quality! So spending $500 or much more on a good bag now is what one would expect. QVC seems to want to downgrade the Dooney brand with lower quality and lower price points.

I still buy great, if pricey, Italian Dooneys from Dooney direct. I buy for the good leather, and when it’s not there I see no reason to keep the bag. I had ordered another of these Selleria bags from Dooney itself, and I canceled it this week simply because of that coating on the leather, which downgrades the look and feel of what should have been a gorgeous satchel. What a shame. What a disappointment. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Why I am returning latest Dooney tsv

@libbyannE,

Thank you so much for this review, much appreciated!

https://www.happytuesdayimages.com/images/quotes/english/general/happy-tuesday-emoji-52650-19880.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@meallen616

You’re welcome. Sad, isn’t it? Such a classic bag, too. Well,  I am heading out to lunch with my Toscana Florentine satchel, which I am still excited to carry! 

Valued Contributor

@libbyannE- I so hear where you're coming from.  I have a florentine and a toscana and, like you, I love the leather.  I agree that the TSV looked cheap with the shiny coating and I did not even consider it.  Good move on your part.

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I’m hoping that someone at Dooney will read this. I’ve already called Dooney and Bourke. I bought my first Dooney in 1980 or so and fell in love with the quality the minute I saw it under glass in the department store. The TSV that arrived the other day is the (supposedly)Florentine”Selleria” satchel. I absolutely love the look and the color (I ordered the saddle tan)  but, as I wrote in my review right after I received the bag, I didn’t care for the finish on the leather which I thought cheapened  the look and feel significantly. I waited, looked at it daily, and tried to talk myself into keeping it. The bag is nice quality and looks wonderful from a distance. But that coating on the leather is so plastic looking. I just can’t keep it. It looks like vinyl. Over time, it will not age well, because you cannot develop a patina or rub out inevitable scratches on this treated Selleria leather vs. real Florentine. 

I compared the Selleria bag, side by side, with other wonderful Dooney bags that I have, including my Florentines and Toscana Florentines  which are so yummy to the eye and to the touch. I have a Toscana Florentine satchel for which I paid $500 in which I never regretted buying at full price I thought it was a bargain then, and I still do. It’s the same saddle tan color as the Selleria tan, and it’s incredibly beautiful and still makes me sigh when I pick it up. It’s even leather lined. Ahhhhhhhh......

I’m not blaming Dooney as much is QVC because I have a feeling that QVC is pushing Dooney to come out with cheaper lines because QVC has some notion of price point that is detrimental to the Dooney brand. As I’ve written before,  my first Dooney cost me to $240 back around 1980, which was a lot of money to me at the time. But Mother always taught me to buy quality! So spending $500 or much more on a good bag now is what one would expect. QVC seems to want to downgrade the Dooney brand with lower quality and lower price points.

I still buy great, if pricey, Italian Dooneys from Dooney direct. I buy for the good leather, and when it’s not there I see no reason to keep the bag. I had ordered another of these Selleria bags from Dooney itself, and I canceled it this week simply because of that coating on the leather, which downgrades the look and feel of what should have been a gorgeous satchel. What a shame. What a disappointment. 

I could see the leather was shiny by looking at the TSV. It was very obvious what you bought. I am not sure what point you are making about the Dooney's TSV.  Next time make sure you are more observant. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Dooneys are getting boring.  The same ole heavy bag and styles.  Their pebble leather use to be so nice and you hardly see it anymore.  There are so many other designers to chose from.  I am partial to Kate Spade and buy my bags when they have a sale and their is a discount on the sale price.  I am sure your older Dooneys are beautiful bags.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I had that bag in my cart then removed it, put it back in and removed it again and this went on most of that day.  When Shawn showed the bag again last night, I noticed that one of the colors had a scratch and didn't know they couldn't be rubbed out but that makes sense.  Such a pretty bag and a nice size.  oh well.   

Honored Contributor

I think they crank out a boatload of the TSVS and they are of lesser quality.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

I could see the leather was shiny by looking at the TSV. It was very obvious what you bought. I am not sure what point you are making about the Dooney's TSV.  Next time make sure you are more observant. 

Wow! That’s quite the reaction.

It’s hard to know exactly how something will look and feel until you have it in your hands.  If you have to talk yourself into liking it, it’s not a good buy.  Return it!

Esteemed Contributor

Wish I had returned my 3 too expensive - too big - and too heavy D&B bags.  (What was I thinking?)   Happy with my $80 Tangelllo (sp) smaller - lighter and don't even know for sure if it's real leather.  Doubt it - but love the bag - so who cares?