Respected Contributor

What is Dooney's "Toscana" leather?

The upcoming Dooney tsv is described as Toscana leather. If I search "Toscana" on Dooney's site, their florentine bags come up. But if you zoom in on pix of the upcoming Toscana tsv bag, it looks like a finely textured embossed pebble leather, and my fear is that it might be yet another of the thin bonded and coated leathers that look and feel like plastic in person and which I will not carry. Does anyone know about this leather? The QVC description, which should start with a clear description of the kind of leather that as used to craft the bag, says nothing about the leather. Arrgh. In doubt, I cancelled the tsv order I placed yesterday because I don't want to pay shipping both ways if I have to return a bag due to inferior leather, which is what happened to me when I mistakenly ordered two if the Dooney tsvs back in April. Help! 

Super Contributor

Re: What is Dooney's "Toscana" leather?

since the QVC styles are different than on the dooney site, who knows. I also won't buy saffiano leather. I've also noticed that the QVC bags have thinner straps for the shoulder than the regular dooneys. I bought 2 tsvs a few years back on a QVC style. The two were different sizes, slightly, and the stitching on both was crooked.  Not sure about buying another made for QVC one.   

Regular Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

The upcoming Dooney tsv is described as Toscana leather. If I search "Toscana" on Dooney's site, their florentine bags come up. But if you zoom in on pix of the upcoming Toscana tsv bag, it looks like a finely textured embossed pebble leather, and my fear is that it might be yet another of the thin bonded and coated leathers that look and feel like plastic in person and which I will not carry. Does anyone know about this leather? The QVC description, which should start with a clear description of the kind of leather that as used to craft the bag, says nothing about the leather. Arrgh. In doubt, I cancelled the tsv order I placed yesterday because I don't want to pay shipping both ways if I have to return a bag due to inferior leather, which is what happened to me when I mistakenly ordered two if the Dooney tsvs back in April. Help! 

I had the same question about Toscana leather, and got the same results when I searched Dooney.com.  The only D&B bags I will buy on QVC are ags that are also sold on the Dooney site, and the price or promotion must be better than I can get at Dooney.com.  Thankfully the upcoming TSV did not tempt me at all.

Super Contributor

Hey there

Respected Contributor

If you order now, it it item # A285609!

Respected Contributor

@annespan wrote:

Hey there

Someone else has put in the item number for you, I see. It's a cool bag with the current 70s vibe, per trends, and a timeless equestrian look, as well. I buy for the leather first and the style second, and lately I haven't liked some of the thinner coated leathers which many makers, not just Dooney, are using. I just wish I could see this leather better before I pay for shipping.mthat's why I cancelled.

Btw, I buy from QVC and from Dooney and it's the same stuff. Straps, leathers, lining, etc., vary by the bag and by the particular Dooney collection, but those differences are consistent whether the bag is sold at QVC or Dooney. 

Respected Contributor

@annespan wrote:

Hey there

Someone else has put in the item number for you, I see. It's a cool bag with the current 70s vibe, per trends, and a timeless equestrian look, as well. I buy for the leather first and the style second, and lately I haven't liked some of the thinner coated leathers which many makers, not just Dooney, are using. I just wish I could see this leather better before I pay for shipping. That's why I cancelled.

Btw, I buy from QVC and from Dooney and it's the same stuff. Straps, leathers, lining, etc., vary by the bag and by the particular Dooney collection, but those differences are consistent whether the bag is sold at QVC or Dooney.