Super Contributor

Opinions on Dooney Croco Leathers?

Hi All!  If anyone owns any Croco bags from Dooney I would love to hear if these bags look as goregous in person as they do on TV and if durability is still a big issue as reported in other Forum chains and in reviews.

The Claire is REALLY challenging my NO-more-new-bags-until-next-Sping resolution!!!

Thanks very much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions on Dooney Croco Leathers?

[ Edited ]

@annespan  I have one from many years ago and it's gorgeous. I can't tell you how the ones made recently are, sadly. Perhaps they've gone down in the quality of the leather to have such complaints but in the past, the Croco leathers have been fantastic in looks, wear and durability. No issues.

Let me add, I did NOT purchase mine from QVC. I don't tknow if that makes a difference or not.

Edited to add: I just checked out the Claire bag and that is a BEAUTIFUL bag only...why didn't they use silver hardward on the smoke (grey) bag? Gold/brass does not flatter ALL shades. Shame.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Sahmlam, it is great to hear that your bag is still gorgeous after some time!   I am so drooling at this silhouette and the flap design that it does not detract for me here but  ITA that Claire would be even more spectactular with silver tone hardware.  They offered palladium hardware in recent TSV and It will be great to see more such options in the new year.

Respected Contributor

I have a croco satchel from about 9 years ago and it is still GORGEOUS!

This fall I bought a Brenna smaller satchel in Brown T'Moro croco and it is GORGEOUS!  And last week my bordeaux satchel A300499 arrived and it is stunningly gorgeous.  

This new one seemed a bit stiff at first, but now after using it a few days it is perfect and will only get better.  It has the same croco plating as my older satchel that traveled the country with me, was stowed under many an airplane seat, and never had gentle treatment.  Water did not stain it, the leather got softer and had more of a patina with age, and I still use it (dark grey croco) but prefer the new one with its narrower base.

Although the plating design on the Brenna is so pretty as is the color, I prefer the zip top style as it has a more secure closure to prevent rain and snow from getting in, and from things falling out if it slides from the car seat to the floor.

HTH!

Honored Contributor

I think you cant beat the mockcroc in Brahmin bags.  All others pale in comparison.  The make Dooneys look very phony.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Thank you, author and 

Respected Contributor

I dislike all croco. But Dooney has some good ones, as does Brahmin. I am not into .Brahmin because most of their bags look cheap to me dye to the faux croco. Just my taste. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with @Kachina624.  I look at the Dooney croc and I much prefer the Brahmin croc, in terms of how it looks.  The Brahmins are comparable in price - a little more expensive but worth every penny.

However, I love the Dooney 2 toned bags.  I think I like the pebble leather the best, followed by the saffiano.  

Honored Contributor

@annespan.  I'm not sure about the gray colors.  I have a deep cranberry red and one called pecan...brown.  These bags are beautifully made and will probably last a lifetime.  You might check eBay.  There are usually quite a few listed.  That's Where I got my pecan Brahmin.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I love the croco embossed leather handbags and own both Dooney and Brahmin.  The styles are different and the embossing designs are quite different.  I continue to buy both and recently got the Dooney Pembrook tote in plum.  Stunning color and style.

Brahmin has several versions of their croco pattern,  the Melbourne being the most realistic looking.  They also vary the finish from almost matte to very glossy.   And,  over the years they have offered a range of colors.   The shades of brown and tan are very realistic,  if that is what you are looking for.  The Brahmin Melbourne looks more like real croco than any of the Dooney croco I have seen.

I've  collected many different versions of Dooney croco over the yearss.  Dooney seems to vary the plate design (small, large, mixed) over time and also how glossy the finish is.  Croco fino from a few years ago was a relatively matte finish and mixed small and large plate design.  It was the most realistic Dooney croco I have seen.

In general,  the Brahmin Melbourne looks more like real croco than any of the Dooney croco.   But,  the Dooney styles and finishes are still lovely.   It all depends upon what you are looking for in terms of style and appearance.

As for durability,  I haven't had a problem with either brand.  That being said,  I rotate my handbags and don't give them rough wear.  The leathers in both brands are durable.  The busy nature of a croco embossing can hide surface scratches or variations in color as it becomes part of the design.  Brahmin recommends conditioning their handbags,  including the croco embossed.  They have their own conditioner.   Dooney does not recommend conditioning.   I don't know if the coating on some Dooney croco would prevent a conditioner from being absorbed.

I would be most concerned about corner wear since many of the Dooney croco are presented as color being 'hand rubbed'.   This means that they are not drum dyed and the color might not be many layers deep.  Constant wear could rub the color away from the corners.... but again, with the busy pattern,  it might not be noticed as much as it would be on a solid color handbag.