Honored Contributor

My First and Truest Dooney & Bourke Handbag

[ Edited ]

Is there any assurance that Sue Clifton or anyone else with some muscle will see this post? 

About five years ago, I bought my first handbag from QVC; it was also the first Dooney & Bourke in my lifetime.  When it arrived, I fell hard for it.  It was the Tobi Tote made from lambskin.  How soft.  How supple.  Such a rich-looking bag. 

Much used, it has that worn but cherished look that quality leather pieces have.  My choice was the Burgundy shade (if that is what it was called).  Once I knew I was hooked, I looked for more on QVC but they were all sold during clearance (when I fortunately bought mine).  So, I went to the online D&B site and bought another of the same handbag in a saddle color.  I did notice that the leather was not quite as soft as my first one, however.

So often women respond to this bag when they see it.  I just plop the well-worn  bag down in a doctor's office, and the female physician will remark about how fabulous it is.  It happens often, I tell you. 

Why are there no more Tobi Totes in lambskin?  Does anyone know?  It is my first love.  Yes, a zippered pocket on the outside would be nice, but I certainly would like a shot at buying another lambskin Tobi Tote.

ETA:  I later returned to QVC to get a more structured and formal-looking D& B and bought a largish bag in saffiano leather.  Did not really like it and it stays home all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My First and Truest Dooney & Bourke Handbag

@golding76  Lambskin is a more expensive leather. I've also tried the saffiano leather, but in a Coach bag. Not a fan of that leather; it felt plastic to me when I really tried it out. Returned it.

Haven't seen lambskin on D&B bags recently. Fluorintine bags are lovely, but very heavy. Watch as the fall/winter bags become available. Good luck in your search for a good leather bag. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thank you, BirkiLadyI see that Isaac Mizrahi often features lambskin bags, but their depth is too narrow for meI prefer at least 3 1/2" depth.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76  American Leather Co. and Oryani (also on QVC), as well as Gucci also have lambskin leather bags. I've never owned, or tried, the Oryani brand but they have an intrigueing look.

Also buy leathergoods (footwear, outerwear and purses) from a wonderful store, Overland Sheepskin Co. in Omaha, Nebraska. They also have stores in NM and AZ. Check their website for purchasing on-line. Free shipping and amazing customer service! Their leathers are supple, smell heavenly, long-lasting and stock seems to change periodically. Sign up for their emails and/or check back! (I usually have a lengthy list in my cart since I can't afford everything at once.) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Try the Dooney website.  The lamb leather is more expensive though.  I have one from years and years ago.  It has worn like iron.  Mine is the saddle shade.  I hope you can find one!!!

Pretty amazing that the original bags have just one zipper pocket.  Cell phone pockets weren't needed.  In fact, I still have and use my very first purchase, no pockets at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Try the Dooney website.  The lamb leather is more expensive though.  I have one from years and years ago.  It has worn like iron.  Mine is the saddle shade.  I hope you can find one!!!

Pretty amazing that the original bags have just one zipper pocket.  Cell phone pockets weren't needed.  In fact, I still have and use my very first purchase, no pockets at all.

I think Sue Clifton has a page on QVC.  Ask her directly.