Honored Contributor

Measuring for organizer/insert to help bag keep shape

[ Edited ]

I have a D&B Florentine satchel (the biggest brown one) from a few years ago.  I do not carry the same handbag everyday but this one has dog-eared because of the floppy shape from not having it shaped.  I love the bag.  It is still a great one and has developed a nice patina.  I want to continue using it.  How do you measure for inserts that help bags that are "limp" keep shape.  Do you measure the top, the broadest part of the bag on the sides or the fioundation piece at the very bottom.

Neither of the bags still present at QVC is mine.  Mine has a total of 4 pockets on the front.

Honored Contributor

Re: Measuring for organizer/insert to help bag keep shape

I buy Costco sized packages of white tissue paper and stuff bags with it.  You can roll it into solid tubes or any shape you want.  As I change bags it gets moved from bag to bag and when it gets dirty-looking I throw it out.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnnewrote:

I buy Costco sized packages of white tissue paper and stuff bags with it.  You can roll it into solid tubes or any shape you want.  As I change bags it gets moved from bag to bag and when it gets dirty-looking I throw it out.  

Thank you, DiAnne.  That is a great idea.  However, I want to use the organizer as well while I am carrying it.  I will take your recommendation to use the white tissue paper for stuffing when I am not using it.  I should have been doing this all along.  

Honored Contributor

My bag is the Florentine Clayton Satchel.  If anyone has it and could offer suggestions on an organizer and also on how to get the tassels back in shape.  They are curling up.  I guess I could put a rubberband around them but do I need to condition, etc?  I am a nitwit when it comes to handbag care.  I have some nice designer bags that I need to rehab and try to sell from my days of working.  I am not sure if D&B is designer, but they are very nice and collector bags.

Respected Contributor

For tassels:  many handbag collectors use mesh makeup brush covers to keep their tassels in good condition.  The makeup brush covers are available on amazon or ebay in packages.  I started with a package of  25.   The makeup brush covers are stretchy mesh and expandable and breathable.  If you tassels are already getting out of line,  then be sure that they are laying properly when you try to retrain them in the brush cover.

Some ladies also use hair ties or rubber bands.  But if you do,  then put a piece of paper over the tassels first so that the elastic doesn't leave a mark, or even lift the dye color from the tassel.

I find the makeup brush covers to be much easier to use and they work great.

As for measuring for an organizer..... I would start with the base of the bag and also the height of the bag (at the lowest point).  You can shift the organizer to get it into the bag if the zipper is a little smaller than the base of the bag.   But if the bag is narrower at the top than at the base, the organizer can't be longer or wider than the narrowest part of the handbag it will occupy.  Also, if you don't have a little room between the sides of the organizer and the walls of the handbag,  then it will be difficut to use the outside pockets of the organizer and also the items in the organizer will press up against the outside of the handbag.... not a good look.  

So I would go for an organizer that is smaller than the dimensios pf the handbag you are looking to fill.  Once you stuff the organizer it will expand and take up more room.

There are lots of organizers available.   I love the PursePerfect from QVC.  It's high quality and has structure.   But I also sometimes us a light weight mesh and nylon organizer from ebay.  The mesh one doesn't give the handbag much structure,  but it does a fine job of organizing and it's very light weight.   Different bags, different needs.