Valued Contributor

Help keep the bags dust free

I know in the past women talk about how they keep their bags dust free, but I just cleaned all my Dooneys, and I’m not going to put them in the blue bags they give you because I can’t tell which bag is inside.  I would like to put them in a clear bag, like a loaf of bread, but can’t find the right ones.  I have spent hours looking for the right bag to cover my Dooney beauties....all 30 of them, can you help me?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help keep the bags dust free

I was always told not to put leather in plastic because it needs to breathe....

I use the cloth dust bags but i printed a small picture of each bag and attached it to the side of the dustbag. That way I know which one is which on my closet shelf.

Esteemed Contributor

I laugh at all the talk about dust bags for D&B.  How much dust (in a closet) can there be?  I just put them on a shelf in my off season closet - shut the door - latch the door.  More dust is floating around your house on a normal day while handbag sits on a table waiting for you to take it shopping again.

Esteemed Contributor

Just put a label on the outside of the dust bag.I wouldn’t store leather in plastic.

Esteemed Contributor

Check out Container Store. They have containers for everything.

Respected Contributor

Use a marker and label each bag. Plastic ruins leather, it needs to breathe.

Respected Contributor

Please don't store your leather handbags in plastic containers or bags.  Leather needs to breath and plastic can trap moisture or even give off gases that might damage the leather.

I store my handbags in old pillow cases that are the same color family as the handbag.  If I don't have that color pillow case in my closet then I try to buy it at a discount store or at the lowest price possible.  The pillow cases should be at least 50% cotton and washed before using.   Given the cost of my handbags,  an extra $5 is a small investment to keep them safe.   Also,  the color matching makes it easier to find the bag I am looking for.  I don't have to worry about a dark color dust bag transferring color onto a handbag because the bag and the dust cover are similar in color..

If you don't want to make the investment in colored pillow cases,  you can put labels on your dust bags.   Or even use white pillow protectors that can be purchased very inexpensively.   Just be sure to wash them first.   Then you could even use a marker and write the info about the bag on the side of the white pillow protector. (Do this before putting the handbag inside)  Smiley Happy

Or you can put your handbags in the dust bags so the side facing out is open,  so you can see some of the handbag.

Or,  just drape a thin towel over the top of the bags and store them without dust covers.   

There are a lot of better options  than plastic containers/wrapping on leather.  Sory to go on about this,  but it's one of my hot buttons.  I hate to see good leather handbags damaged.