Respected Contributor

Don't throw the bag!

[ Edited ]

Did any of you catch Antonella chiding Sue for throwing a bag off the set when the color had sold out, during yesterday evening's show? Either she's been reading our boards or the hosts have finally decided  to give the brand the respect it deserves.

Honored Contributor

Isn't Sue the vendor?  Not sure it would be the host's place to chide the vendor.  JMHO. (The bags have been thrown for all the years I've watched QVC.....whether Dooney or not.)

Respected Contributor

now... this is a new one.  respecting a handbag.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Don't throw the bag!

[ Edited ]

Whenever a host tosses the handbags, there's a cadre chastising them for doing so... then there's another group indicating they really don't care.  I belong to the group that doesn't care.  

Yes, Antonella (just as Lisa Mason did years ago) seems to have taken her stand against tossing the bags, either because she truly finds in inappropriate or to score points with those who find it anathema. In doing so, though, I wonder if they realize that they're more or less criticising their fellow hosts (and the vendor) who seem to have no problem with it. Lisa used to be famous for it and more recently, I believe I read Jane T. was tossing the bags off set. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I own, enjoy using and take reasonable care of my handbags. I don't, however, 'respect' them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

There are many factors in marketing (or selling),  especially via TV.  You need to convey the need for an item, it's usefulness, it's value, and what it will 'do' for the customer.  This includes how it will make the customer feel when owning and using the item.  And of course, you need to do enough to justify the price.  If you want to make someone buy a handbag that cost $200-400,  then the customer needs to feel it is special.   Tossing the handbag around does not convey that impression.  The handbag may be sturdy and stand up to every day life without extra care,  but when you are selling it, you want to make it seem special so the customer will want to own that treasure.

There is also the element of professionalism to consider... for the station and it's personnel.  Throwing merchandise is not professional.  It does not convey to the customer that the merchandise is respected.  And if they don't respect their merchandise,  then how can they respect their customers.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, Lavenderjunkie.  You understand what I meant and said it better than I did. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

People w/manners don't throw things around.