Difference Between Florentine and Glove Leathers?

[ Edited ]

Am looking at getting another Small Satchel, and am debating between the Florentine and Glove leathers.  I have the Florentine in T-Moro and think it's fabulous, but this next bag is going to be red and I'm unsure if Florentine is the ticket.

I know glove is rarely offered on the Q, but both are available on D&B.  Hoping one of the Dooney fans here has tried both and can give me some information on the differences in look and feel between the two.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Difference Between Florentine and Glove Leathers?

I'm not positive but I think that glove leather is thinner and more pliable, while Florentine leather is thicker, stiffer and scratches more easily. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable ladies here can chime in on this.

Valued Contributor

I dont know about glove leather but I do know about red florentine leather.  I have a gorgeous red florentine leather bag and the color is very saturated, deep red.  I have other color florentines, but red florentine is incredible, and my favorite.... get the red florentine, you will love it.

Honored Contributor

Yes, glove leather is very soft, pliable and the leather (usully lamb) is used for gloves because of the softness and pliability.  Florentine leather is a thick substantial leather, rather heavy and is not pliable  and gets its name from where it comes from, Florence Italy.  Both are exquisite leathers, both are drum died and both are gorgeous...  I've never met a gorgeous leather I didn't love.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

The term glove leather often applies to many different kinds of leathers.   Dooney did a glove leather years ago,  and now they have another one,  which mayb be different.  The Dooney glove leather is NOT the same as their lamb leather.   The Dooney lamb leather is very soft, light weight,  but it's thin.  In the past the Dooney glove leather was much thicker.

Other manufacturers use the term glove leather for the thinner, softer, more light weight leather.

Not all 'glove' leather is the same.   Not all Florentine leather is the same.

BTW:  Dooney Florentine leather in red is amazing.  I just bought another style because the red was so beautiful.