Super Contributor

Re: Will 6% Spandex in a Top Make It Rubbery?

Thanks for all of your replies.  I may order just one top to see what it's like and keep my fingers crossed.  There are no reviews as this is a new top and hasn't even been presented on-air yet.  D&C tops used to be easy to buy and wear, but in the last few years the sizing and fabric content are often a "wait and see" proposition.  I'd get more tops locally but most of the stores seem to focus on the under 40 age bracket in tops.  I'm a baby boomer and try to dress conservatively and classically (which is why I love Linea best of all).  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@InStitches49 wrote:

I found a new top in this brand which is cute but the 6% spandex worries me about the feel of the top.  It is primarily cotton and modal, but the percent of the stretch is more than I've seen in other D&C tops.  One time I got a D&C top with spandex which felt rubbery and hot when worn.  Yet another top in this brand with spandex didn't feel that way.  How does one know what is too high of a spandex percentage in an item?

@InStitches49It's very much a personal thing as to what we can tolerate in fabrics, but to me 5% feels too rubbery. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@InStitches49 wrote:

I found a new top in this brand which is cute but the 6% spandex worries me about the feel of the top.  It is primarily cotton and modal, but the percent of the stretch is more than I've seen in other D&C tops.  One time I got a D&C top with spandex which felt rubbery and hot when worn.  Yet another top in this brand with spandex didn't feel that way.  How does one know what is too high of a spandex percentage in an item?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

InStitches49, I'm laughing over your question becaue at least once I ended up with a D&Co. shirt that was so rubbery I could have made a ball of it and bounced it on the floor. 

I'm glad to say D&Co. has improved in the last few years.

Honored Contributor

Maybe but not necessarily.  They are doing some amazing things with fabrics now.  It's all high tech.   I wouldn't buy jeans that 6% stretch, I stay at 3% or less but I don't know about a top.  If I loved the top, I'd buy and return if I didn't like the fabric.