Trusted Contributor

Re: It's all about the bottom line. Most likely the answer t...

The top shown is heinous. I feel like it is a blast from the past. Their solid color tees or tops in the perfect jersey fabric I do like. Getting harder to find anything but poly; way too hot for where I live. I now do mostly rayon for colder months and cotton for summer/ spring.....D&C walks a fine line from nice-looking to frumpy...if they would dump the antique rose color permanently it would help them a lot and elevate the image of the label imho. Just when I think they have tossed it in favor of updated colors, it rears its ugly head again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why is D&C targeting the older women

I'm not convinced it's all about seniors

There are some younger women, maybe 40ish or 50ish who found themselves after menopause to have a "senior" figure.   D&C is pretty conistent.   If you find a bottom you like, you can purchase however many you need, in all colors.

The tops that are similar in style are just a dependable.  If you are happy with one, you will be happy with others.

Nearly everyone posting here writes like they are so sophisticated about fashion   Maybe they are but real world?    For many women, they dress to be comfortable & neat, not for high fashion.

That stuff lasts forever.   I found a capri bottom at the thrift store, wore it for years at home.

I don't like labels of any kind.    The term senior citizen means nothing except for marketing purposes, drug companies, insurance companies.etc

As far as price, it's not always a gauge of quality, everything is expensive

Honored Contributor

Just like a good part of TV targets a younger audience because they provide ratings, the Q targets older women with their clothes line because they appear to be the ones who buy the clothes for the most part.  You follow your audience, bottom line who makes money for you.

There are plenty of stores to shop at and I believe in giving my business to those stores locally which I want to support.  Yes, it is easy and convenient to shop on line but there should be room for every business to thrive.  Sadly too many stores have closed and to me that is a loss. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize they were.  Is that why Carolyn and Gary use the squirrels?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software

You can be dress in a sophisticated way without being high fashion.  The fit, fabric and colors of clothing make a big difference, no matter what the price point is.  The clothing I buy from Target is more sophisticated and modern than anything QVC sells for 3x the price point, especially the most recent Target designer collection for example.

That being said, what on earth is a "senior figure" - to me that means that someone just let themselves go.  Getting older doesn't mean that you stop taking care of your body.  Not everyone wants to wear oversized tunics and ugly frocks because they are told by society that they are "old".  40s / 50s are NOT old and I find it sad that people feel like they need to dress like that.

Also, I respectively disagree with you ... capri pants are absolutely hideous and do not look good on anyone, no matter what your height / shape is.

Esteemed Contributor

@minimalistWF 

Agree with you post (above) completely, except for the last paragraph about the capri pants. I'm slender and wear capris on the golf course as the weather cools down. They may not be a "fashion statement", but they work for the sport and the weather. I'm dressed far better than other people on the course as the weather changes in the fall and spring.

Would I wear them "in public"? Absolutely not! The golf course is a private course. We may have a drink and/or food there, but it's all within a private club. After playing 18 holes of golf or swimming or a tennis match, no one is ready for the runway! We're ready to wind up the afternoon with a bit of laughter (and make more plans) before heading home to shower and some R&R.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

To everyone who thinks D&C is for seniors only:

Don't tell DD, who loves the tie beach pants, and has ordered a pair for a friend who likes them too.

And you'll have to pry my hands from my well-worn turquoise fleece zip-up hooded jacket.

I see so many threads that start like this. I hope I never find myself even THINKING like this! 

Why can't we like what we like- without having someone saying it's designed for only one age group, or my favorite- it's "frumpy" or something like that?

There is a positive way to say a brand has a lot of choices for older women, without alienating ALL women!   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I agree with @software 's post theme that women of all ages and sizes come in all ages and sizes. There are many places to shop thankfully.

As a now senior citizen (who still is pretty fashionable) Diana Ross sang a long time ago and was advised by her mother -- you had better shop around .  

Honored Contributor

Yes, we do certainly disagree

After many surgeries,  none of which for cosmetic reasons, my body is not like it was 20 years ago.  I didn't "let it go".   Don't judge, the women you see with no shape & maybe a little overweight may be struggling with a serious medical disorder.

I'd wear a prom dress every day if I felt like it.  But I like the way I look in my capris.

But you do you.

@minimalistWF wrote:

@software

You can be dress in a sophisticated way without being high fashion.  The fit, fabric and colors of clothing make a big difference, no matter what the price point is.  The clothing I buy from Target is more sophisticated and modern than anything QVC sells for 3x the price point, especially the most recent Target designer collection for example.

That being said, what on earth is a "senior figure" - to me that means that someone just let themselves go.  Getting older doesn't mean that you stop taking care of your body.  Not everyone wants to wear oversized tunics and ugly frocks because they are told by society that they are "old".  40s / 50s are NOT old and I find it sad that people feel like they need to dress like that.

Also, I respectively disagree with you ... capri pants are absolutely hideous and do not look good on anyone, no matter what your height / shape is.

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I like Denim and Co.  I've been wearing it since before I guess I could have been considered a "senior".  The line is huge and there are many offerings, but I like that some things remain constant (there's a "utility blouse" that I rely on, have for years, and it's still around - I just ordered three more "as is", in new colors).

Clothes are in how you wear them, and accessorize them, and if they suit the occasion and the purpose they were intended for. 

I have cotton, linen, poly, and all sorts of blends, in D&Co.  I've never been accused of being a frumpy old lady, and even if I had been, so what?  I'm comfortable and I think, appropriate.

@Sweetbay magnolia yes, yes, and yes. I have many pieces from this line that fit well and are flattering. Do I like everything? Heck no. I avoid most of their prints and exaggerated hems, and especially the tops styled like the maternity tops back in the day. A favorite top is their boat neck, long sleeve top. It's not a boxy fit at all and washes beautifully.