Respected Contributor

Re: Why is D&C targeting the older women

@Just Bling wrote:

I'm watching tonight, yes, surprised me too.

The material, the prints geared to Seniors...

even a jacket and pants out of poly, like a pant suit.

Another Example  A457970  who wears those prints?

Even the model does not look good at all with that top, it's pulling in the bust

Now they are appealing to the short women that it makes you appear taller

That top reminds me of a print sold at KMart years ago.

Seems like everything is a $50 bill too.   

You seem to be the only one targeting "older women" and deciding what they wear. I often wonder if posters carefully consider what they have written prior to hitting the "send" button.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would guess that QVC's target audience is women over 50 with signifcant disposable income.  I may be wrong but I don't see younger people buying here.

Esteemed Contributor

"Just sayin", but sometimes people post fashions here that are very similar to D&Co and people fawn over it because of the label.

Like prints, for instance.  Why the shunning of a label?  Smart shoppers (IMO) source all over.  Or fabrics.  Does anyone think those body con dresses we see on news people are not polyester blend?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I'm watching tonight, yes, surprised me too.

The material, the prints geared to Seniors...

even a jacket and pants out of poly, like a pant suit.

Another Example  A457970  who wears those prints?

Even the model does not look good at all with that top, it's pulling in the bust

Now they are appealing to the short women that it makes you appear taller

That top reminds me of a print sold at KMart years ago.

Seems like everything is a $50 bill too.   

@Just Bling I am offended by being called senior.  I am not in high school, you don't fool me by saying senior, I am an older lady.  Old.  And happy and proud to be old.  And never in my life have I been obsessed about what other people, often with less taste than I have, think about what I wear.

I am at home and want to be well dressed and comfortable for home, the post office and going to the bank.  I have a larger waist than I used to have, also not embarrassed by that, and enjoy pants that fit at the waist and have the elastic for ease of dressing.  Does that make me ill dressed?  NO, and boxy is fine with me and the hot guy I live with too.  Neither of us have any issues with my look.

I don't wear concert t'shirts or t'shirts with pictures any more, and jeans are mostly heavy and a pain to zip up and difficult to find a really good fit now.  I don't want to bother with them and to me, they are usually sloppy looking like sweatpants--which I do not and have never owned.

My here is that I don't know what your problem with D and C is.  If you don't like it, don't buy it or wear it and keep quiet.  What's your point?  That YOU don't like it?  Lots of people do.

Nobody is forcing you to wear it, and nobody is forcing me to try to look like a freshman, since it is obvious I am not.  

I see not point to it.  And besides I have never been a fan of "bling" or sequins or rhinestones and such but don't start posts about it.  So to each their own, 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Offended by the word Senior?

The world calls anyone over 65 and sometimes dropped down to 55 Senior Citizens.  

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that?

It's true, the poly knits, the pant suits, there was nothing close to "being young clothing".

They used to have some cute stuff, those patterns were pretty poor last night too.   

Sure I can turn it off like anyone else.

I haven't met an older aged person that didn't turn down a Senior Citizen discount, so that's OK to use that term.

....and calling me to "keep quiet", what planet are you on, this a forum where ALL opinions should be heard.

Honored Contributor

Because QVC's core demographic is seniors and they have the most disposable income to spend.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 

That's an interesting thought process...

I do wonder if the target audience has changed and they are gearing the clothing to the "mature" woman.

How's that....let's use "mature".

Super Contributor

Denim & Co is a brand for older women, so of course they would be targeting them!!!  In general, most of the fashion is geared towards older women since that's QVC's core audience.

This is why I (in my 30s) steer clear of nearly all of it.  I have purchased a few Ugg pieces and the Laurie Felt faux leather dress, but otherwise I don't need to spend $50+ for a tshirt that makes me look like I'm pushing 90.

The styles, prints and fabrics look super dated and anyone that wants to dress more modern would not wear those items, irregardless of age.  My mom in her 60s would never wear any of this type of clothes either, but to each their own.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi It isn't juniors vs. older women for clothing .... there is a middle ground of clothing that you are missing.  Most people don't wear juniors and then jump right into matronly clothing.

What about JCrew, Madewell, Aritzia, Banana Republic, and so on ... these are certainly not junior, but also are not super aged up.  I look at these brands as having clothing options for all adult women.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy Spot on!!!  Most of the people that shop QVC are older, conservative women.

I happened to discover QVC a few years ago for a graduate school business project and that's what turned me into a shopper (mainly for beauty items), but otherwise there is no way I would have started shopping here.