Valued Contributor

Why does the length increase as sizes get larger?

Why does the length of a top increase as the sizes get larger.  I might have gained weight but I haven't grown taller!  I've noticed this in Denim & Co and it might be the case in other lines as well.  Does anyone know why manufacturers do this?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why does the length increase as sizes get larger?

GOOD POINT

Honored Contributor

I can only speak for myself, but I have a larger mid- section, and I check the length first to make sure it is long enough to cover it.  I not interested in having my stomach stick out. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I agree it's for the midsection.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wobin wrote:

Why does the length of a top increase as the sizes get larger.  I might have gained weight but I haven't grown taller!  I've noticed this in Denim & Co and it might be the case in other lines as well.  Does anyone know why manufacturers do this?

@Wobin  @fthunt  I'll try and give a visual. Imagine a round table 3' in diameter and a round tablecloth made especially for it to fit so it has 5" that hangs down off the edge.

If you put that same tablecloth on a 4' diameter round table, nothing would be hanging over the side and it would look funny.

As for a top for a man or woman, the diameter of the individual makes a difference. The larger a person is, the more material is necessary to accomodate the distance of material that goes out around the waist before it starts heading down. If tops were the same length for those that are XS to XL, those who were XL would have tops that would be at their belly button and not down around their hips or longer. A bit of an exaggeration, but in some cases, not by much. 

Now if that visual didn't help, try this experiment. Have you bought a top recently? If so, go back to the site you bought it and check the sizing chart. Check the size that is smallest...lets say it's XS and the length is 25". Write down the length then take your top and measure to that length and place a bobby pin there. Then put the top on and see where the top's length ends on you. That will be the best visual because you will be able to see the difference in the mirror too.

HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Because as size increases, usually (although not today), height increases.  This has always gone on when ready to wear hit the market from personal tailoring.

Honored Contributor

As your girth increases, you take up more room in the length.  Has nothing to do with height of the wearer.  A size 3X woman would be very unhappy with the length of her shirt if it was one designed for a size small.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

What others have said. I have thicker thighs, (my stepfather used to describe them as 'powerful,' today, they might be called 'athletic.') I've grown to accept that my thighs are like tree trunks and no matter how much weight I lose, they are still meaty.  I'm 5'3 so I would ordinarily wear a petite, however, if the length of the pant is less than 29 inches, my thighs pull the hem upward and the pants are too short for me.  The wider the girth, the more of this pulling happens to the fabric, upward, and either tummy or ankles will be exposed.

Trusted Contributor

Perfect analogy - a big round table!   

Super Contributor

And the sleeves get longer!  My arms don't grow when I gain weight so I don't get why they make clothes that way. I think the plus size petite woman is the most forgotten.