Esteemed Contributor

Since when is ...........

[ Edited ]

Ponti knit a very expensive kint product?????   Says Carolyn.................

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Since when is ...........

Some ponte knit is good quality but no ponte knit is some sort of special fabric. QVC hosts say all sorts of things to encourage us to buy their products. All I can say is caveat emptor.

Respected Contributor

I'm just happy a clothing show is on. 

Valued Contributor

I would never call ponte knit "very expensive", but it is typically a little more costly compared to straight up cottton or poly, or at least so I have noticed.  Probably because of the poly rayon span in the material which allows it to recover a little more and it is also a very tight knit.  Maybe the actual process to make the material costs a bit more money.  But I really don't know why, just pure speculation on my part.

Honored Contributor

Since the salespeople have told us it is to make us think we're getting a good deal.

Valued Contributor

I sew my own clothing and practically live in JoAnn's Fabric Store.  Ponte runs from $17-$25 but is currently on sale for $8.50-$12.50. I just purchased 2 3/8 yds. @ $8.50 a yard.  I plan to make a dress with it.  I do not consider that to be 'expensive'  compared to purchasing the dress ready made. Sales clerks will say anything to sell the products they are hawking, hoping that most consumers are not aware.  Also, 'expensive' is relative.  What is considered to be 'expensive' to one person may not be so to someone else.                            docsgirl

Respected Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

@I just purchased 2 3/8 yds. @ $8.50 a yard.  I plan to make a dress with it.  I do not consider that to be 'expensive'  compared to purchasing the dress ready made. S

You can't compare the cost of fabric to the cost of a ready-made garment.  You have to factor in your own time and trouble.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Maybe compared to those other rags they sell.

Ponte knit is a good quality item.

All my trousers are ponte knit, general retail is $60 and UP.

I buy on sale, with coupons and no shipping.

Locally.

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Ponti knit a very expensive kint product?????   Says Carolyn.................

Respected Contributor

It's not expensive. It's a heavy durable double-knit. I have a talbot's ponte knit dress from, oh, three years ago, and it's become my go-to black dress. Wears well. Travels well. And it was very inexpensive-- around $180. 

Contributor

The ponti knit we see today is ho hum. However 40 to 50 years ago the ponti knits came from Italy and were gorgeous. Extremely high quality. I can remember many times saving my money to buy those dresses! They are still available but in very high end places and very pricey.