Trusted Contributor

Please give necklines some love

I really enjoy my D&Co knit tops. But with all the attention to hemline details, I haven't seen any interesting necklines for a long time. Not "embellishments," but more variety in the cuts.

There are many plain round/scoops, vees, occasional turtlenecks or bateaus...but the ones I love best and almost always buy are the stand up collars, split collars, wrapped collars--necklines that come up the back of my neck a bit without being too high or warm in front.

Necklines like these are great for women who benefit from a little something around the neck. With the round necks I always feel I need a scarf or something, which is warm and not always convenient for casual wear.

Or is it just me?

Honored Contributor

Re: Please give necklines some love

I do like a stand up collar.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I like D&Co because they don't add embellishments like Susan Graver or many other designers do here. There's plenty out there. If D&Co started I'd drop them. Yuck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No it's not just you!

I wish they had square necklines,ballet necklines which are both hard to find.Or a scalloped neckline.

I used to like v necks but I don't like them anymore and don't think they are flattering on me nor are the round necklines.

Totally agree about the needing a scarf or something, but then it gets too hot, like you said.

I think Susan Graver mentioned once that the necklines we wish they had like square neck are more expensive to make.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

I really, really dislike stand-up collars. I have a short neck and my hair grows way down my neck so anything like a mandarin, hoodie, stand-up collar makes look and feel like a turtle!  🐢

Honored Contributor

I agree.  With all these different hemlines, it's time to focus on necklines.  I personally like the "sweetheart" neckline.  Rarely see it.

Super Contributor

Try Alfred Dunner tops - they make a lot of interesting necklines and good quality clothing. I buy it at Penney's when on sale but sure you can get from lots of online retailers. Their sizing runs large but is extremely consistent so once you find your size, you can be confident in ordering without trying on. I normally wear 1x but wear xl in Alfred Dunner. Some of it is a little matronly but I find lots of cute things and get many complements.  

Contributor

My favrite neckline is the "V" cut, not so low that it shows everythink. I see a lot of stand-up collars. I do not like these, because  my make-up gets on the edge of the collar.

Super Contributor

I would love to see more shawl collars and what I've seen called a high vee where the neckline is higher on that he back of the neck but still a vee. Guess I will have to buy those from No err m Thompson or other retailers. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with the OP, wanting the back of the neckline to be high...all the way up to the top of my spinal column.  Other than that, crew and V and Scoop that aren't low are great. I do not like anything approximating a ballet or boat neck as they inevitably end up showing my bra strap as I move about. 

I like collared blouses and shawl collars because of the higher back.