Honored Contributor

Mildew Odor In D&C Comfy Knit TSV Jacket

I was just reading the reviews on the new comfy knit jacket and it seems there's that musty, stinky smell on the blue and bleached denim shades.  My beautiful pink has no smell.  Airing and washing will not remove the odor, but I did manage to defeat it on a pair of jeans that were so bad I had to keep them outside.

I've long been a big fan of Don Aslett's X-O Deodorizer, sold here at QVC.  I've used it for a myriad of animal-created smells.  So I made a strong solution in a spray bottle of the deodorizer and water.  Sprayed the jeans lightly but thoroughly twice, allowing to dry between applications, then washed them in a load with other jeans and the smell was completely gone.

There are strong industrial strength deodorizers at hardware stores and places like Lowe's and HP that would probably work.  You may already have something in the house for animal accidents.

The TSV is a lovely jacket.  I have 4 or 5 of last year's model and have thoroughly enjoyed wearing them.  This newer one is even better.  It's a shame to have to send it back when it's so easy to fix the problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mildew Odor In D&C Comfy Knit TSV Jacket

@Kachina624  I bought the bleached denim one. The smell was horrendous.I shouldn’t have to spray it with something to get the odor out.That’s too much work for a new jacket.QVC should never have sent them out that way.

I already spoke to customer service.I’m sending mine back as defective. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ.   I couldn't agree with you more in that we shouldn't have to treat brand-new clothing, however, it is what it is.  You apparently don't hate the tedious return process as much as I do.  I'd much rather give a few squirts than package up the jacket, drive to the post office, worry about it arriving and getting properly credited and probably having to call CS when it isn't.  Then you're minus a nice jacket

Honored Contributor

Well, rats.  I ordered the bleach denim wash, which hasn’t made its way to AZ yet.

I’d rather return it than go buy a deodorizing product for it unless the jacket is irresistible:/

I got the Denim and Company bleached denim color jacket. I too hate the return process so I decided to keep it.  I hung it outside, I washed it 3 times with Tide and Downy but smell is still there.  It must be the fabric they make it with.  I was told I can return it but why would QVC send something out like this.  Whoever packed it had to have smelled it.  Very disappointed.  I was going to ask my dry cleaner if they could get the smell out.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would not keep anything that smelled so bad. I would send it back ASAP.Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

I really like that jacket,  did any one buy it that did not have a smell,would love to have it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

Why on earth would anyone keep a garment that smelled offensive? That IMO sounds just wrong . There must be some chemical in the fabrication from factory in whatever country these garments are manufactured and I never have this issue when receiving jeans or clothing from department stores either online or in person. Just too strange and potentially an issue ,a rash, irritant, or even more dangerous.
Honored Contributor

@Grace6663582.  Most people seem to think the odor comes from indigo dye since it almost always is found in blue denim items.  I've received denim jeans from several lines that have this odor.  I haven't bought jeans in stores so I don't know if it's a problem with b&m merchandise.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree that you shouldn't have to deodorize or anything else to get the smell out of a new piece. And I think no matter what they say, that the smell is still there, underneath, even tho you think you've gotten it out. And you shouldn't inhale that smell anyway.