Respected Contributor

will the tracphones currently being sold here and HSN that are not 5G be viable after a few months ? Doesn't everything go to that in a few months ?

I have found it difficult to decipher by the info given which ones are 5G.

Respected Contributor

4G and 4G-LTE are still OK.

Honored Contributor

I just got my phone--not a Tracphone or even a smartphone--"upgraded" to a 4G because my provider, AT&T, no longer supports 3G.  I hope I have a few years before I have to do another "upgrade"!!!

Honored Contributor

4G will be around longer than most TracFones will.last.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@okaywitheasypay I was looking at new phones yesterday. My phone is 5 years old and apps are now becoming "not compatible".

I was looking at 5G models. Wow, they are expensive! Anyways, the salesman told me to wait a few weeks. The new 2022 phones will be out in February bringing the cost down on the 2021 models and older. (Cost down at brick and mortar stores, mind you, not QVC)

I asked him if I really needed to get a 5G phone and how long 4G would be sticking around.  He told me another 10 years at least. Yes. 10 years! Woman Very Happy

So if you're wanting one of the phones available now, by all means, get one.  4G service will be around for quite some time. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@okaywitheasypay - All carriers have plans to shut down support of 3G by the end of the year—some within the next couple of months. However, as @MezzieStarr has noted, the expectation in the industry is that 4G / 4G LTE will be around for at least another decade. FWIW, I've been using a Tracfone for the past seven years (two different models), and it's really easy to keep all your apps and services up to date. Now that they have a monthly plan with 1G data plus unlimited talk and text for just $20, I can't see myself ever using another phone. (Note that they have other monthly plans that offer more data for slightly higher prices.) If the options seem right for your needs, I'd highly recommend a Tracfone.

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

4G and 4G-LTE are still OK.

@PickyPicky3     Thank you....wish I had seen your post sooner.  I was just at Walmart today with the same question.  Since mine is 4G-LTE,  I guess I am good for awhile.  Of course, they recommended I buy a 5G....

I don't need another expense right now.   

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all for your helpful info. 

My husband was encouraging me to buy a new phone as he thought my samsung galaxy J2 that I purchased here in 11/2020 was 3g and that 4g would be unuseable also. It is 4g--good to know I can wait. I have used a trac phone for years and love the economy and no monthly bill. I just ran out last month of the minutes I already had on it and the bonus 1500 that came with it. 

I just need a phone for when I am shopping etc. I never am sure where it is in the house . We keep a land line and DH has his phone glued to him. That is more than adequate to recieve our robo calls to tell us our car warranty has expired , IRS is after us, 'The American Police fund 'needs our contribution , or do we want to sell our house. Smiley Wink

@MezzieStarr the $$$S of new 5g scared me too!Woman Surprised

I wish the shopping channels would include info on what 'G' the phone they are showing is.