Esteemed Contributor

Re: question on how can i even pay my bill

You got to have internet. You can't apply for a job, unemployment insurance etc without it.

Honored Contributor

@MeadowLark   Call your credit card company ASAP.  I'd be willing to bet they'll work with you by reducing your interest rate and payments temporarily.  Don't wait until you get behind.

If you've lost your job, immediately file for Unemployment Insurance benefits thru your state employment service.  You can do it online or over the phone.  You'll need the name and mailing address of your last employer.

Now get busy!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also heard that Morgage Companies are giving a 90 deferment. It will be added at the end of the loan along with the interest, but no payment is due now.

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

You got to have internet. You can't apply for a job, unemployment insurance etc without it.

I disagree.  There are places that have free safe internet access.  Also there are many things you can do on your phone without internet access.  If it is between paying your mortgage and having internet you will find a way to live without internet.  The problem is that everyone thinks the NEED everything.  In reality we need very littel, food, shelter, basic necesseties.  When money is tight and you can't pay your bills you HAVE to be frugal, otherwise you will never get out of the hole.

Esteemed Contributor

@Travonewouldn´t the children need internet to do their homework?   Even without the Virus now, someone would have to take them to the Library and there aren´t a lot of Computers available there.

Is there another way? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Okay, this is not going to be popular, but I'm going to post it anyway, and hope people take it in the way it is intended, constructively.

I know this is harder for some than for others, but everyone really does need to try to live within their means and have a safety net in case of emergencies/disasters.  Some experts say that everyone should have at least 2-6 months of expenses saved in case of unemployement or sudden expenses.

There are many free resources/books at your local library and online (AARP) is a great resource that will help you cut expenses.  Some of the expenses you don't even realize how quickly they add up. 

A lot of these won't be relevant now for many with all the recent closures but, do we really need:

The daily coffee shop coffee?

The 650 television channels and streaming devices

Internet access

Book buying - libraries are free

Another pair of shoes

Another purse

Going out to lunch, dinner, breakfast

The list goes on and on. 

After the 2008 recession everyone said savings must happen, but it hasn't.  We have to start spending responsibly.

These ideas will not help anyone today, but they may help prevent someone from not being able to pay their bills when the next emergency hits.  God Bless all of us;

You left off EASY PAY

Respected Contributor

@MeadowLark  I think that they MUST call their company and the sooner the better, before the bill is due.

It may be a long wait time on the phone as they may be short staffed, but call and be sure to write down the name who you spoke to, time and date and what the company will offering to those who are unable to pay at this time.

The utilities are not doing disconnects, and I'm wondering how many people will decide not to pay even though they are still working and wanting extensions and end up getting in a bigger mess a few months down the road.

If anyone is able to pay, they should pay, since these companies are not waiving the fees, just prolonging the time allowed until the balance must be paid. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

@Travone 

Internet is necessary:  libraries are closed but ebooks and magazines, films, music, are available with internet access.

May be the amount of internet usage could be curtailed.

@jlkz   That's why I stated that some of the suggestions wouldn't be relevant now with all the closings.  However, once we are back to normal internet can very easily be cut.  We survived without it for most of our lives, we can do so again if money is tight.

There is a major recall of ground beef; details can be found at our website.  To get details go to our website.  If we send you a paper bill there is a $3.00 a month charge.  Need basic information from a company it better be on the Internet or during working hours if you want to call.  Want to check something in your medical records--sign onto the web portal.  The go to the Internet list has become endless.

The Internet and to some degree FB has been shoved down the consumer's throat to the point that it has become a necessity.  In many ways those without Internet not only miss out on a lot of valuable information and resources but their lives trying to accomplish everyday things can become very complicated.

P.S. don't get me started on APP dependency for an ever increasing number of businesses covering everything from ordering to getting discounts to...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Travonewouldn´t the children need internet to do their homework?   Even without the Virus now, someone would have to take them to the Library and there aren´t a lot of Computers available there.

Is there another way? Thanks.

When we go camping, there is no internet service available.  We drive into the closest town and park at Mc Donald's  or some other fast food place.  They always have free internet....gotta be careful though.  It is not secure.

Esteemed Contributor

@MeadowLark - If you are referring to your Q Card through Synchrony Bank, they have confirmed that they will work with customers on payment plans and other options based on your individual hardship situation. Just go to the website, read the message they've posted, and call the customer service number for help. Good luck!