Frequent Contributor

question on how can i even pay my bill

question ,how is anyone to pay the credit card bill if you have lost your job due to this virus thats going around??

Trusted Contributor

Re: question on how can i even pay my bill

Call your credit card company directly.  Each one will have protocols in place due to this situation.  Most will work with you instead of against. 

Honored Contributor

With unemployment & money the government is giving out.

If you find you cannot make your payment it's best to call the Bank that has the card. With a QVC card you would need to call Synchrony Bank.

Respected Contributor

I don't know to tell you. Do you qualify for unemployment benefits?
Try calling your credit card company and ask for an extension.

Many people will have to figure out how to pay rent or mortgages beginning next week. If I had to chose, keeping a roof over my head would come before a credit card payment. 

Honored Contributor

@MeadowLark Call your credit card company. When I log onto my bank's website, who also issued my credit card, there's a BIG notice saying they are set up to help those who need assistance with their cc bills at this time.

There IS help available. You only need to make a call and ask for it.

This has actually been well publicized on the news.

Respected Contributor

Okay, this is not going to be popular, but I'm going to post it anyway, and hope people take it in the way it is intended, constructively.

I know this is harder for some than for others, but everyone really does need to try to live within their means and have a safety net in case of emergencies/disasters.  Some experts say that everyone should have at least 2-6 months of expenses saved in case of unemployement or sudden expenses.

There are many free resources/books at your local library and online (AARP) is a great resource that will help you cut expenses.  Some of the expenses you don't even realize how quickly they add up. 

A lot of these won't be relevant now for many with all the recent closures but, do we really need:

The daily coffee shop coffee?

The 650 television channels and streaming devices

Internet access

Book buying - libraries are free

Another pair of shoes

Another purse

Going out to lunch, dinner, breakfast

The list goes on and on. 

After the 2008 recession everyone said savings must happen, but it hasn't.  We have to start spending responsibly.

These ideas will not help anyone today, but they may help prevent someone from not being able to pay their bills when the next emergency hits.  God Bless all of us;

Respected Contributor

Unemployment insurance, savings,  and the government check coming our way (most of us, anyway).   Good luck!  I know it is tough.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Put a freeze on buying for now. 

Respected Contributor

@Travone 

Internet is necessary:  libraries are closed but ebooks and magazines, films, music, are available with internet access.

May be the amount of internet usage could be curtailed.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Travone 

Internet is necessary:  libraries are closed but ebooks and magazines, films, music, are available with internet access.

May be the amount of internet usage could be curtailed.

@jlkz   That's why I stated that some of the suggestions wouldn't be relevant now with all the closings.  However, once we are back to normal internet can very easily be cut.  We survived without it for most of our lives, we can do so again if money is tight.