Valued Contributor

Wish QVC would go back to discounting shipping rates

I went a little crazy the other day when QVC was featuring jewelry and ordered five different pieces. Now I'm well aware of the Q's shipping policy, but when three of my five pieces (all different brands) arrived in the same envelope, I couldn't help but think that the Q could have discounted the shipping. Previously, they only did this when buying muliples of the same item, not different things, but still-----these were all in the same envelope. I'd be willing to bet if I checked with the post office, the shipping costs would have been less than what QVC charged. Won't be ordering anything for a while now.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Wish QVC would go back to discounting shipping rates

@qualityshopper wrote:

I went a little crazy the other day when QVC was featuring jewelry and ordered five different pieces. Now I'm well aware of the Q's shipping policy, but when three of my five pieces (all different brands) arrived in the same envelope, I couldn't help but think that the Q could have discounted the shipping. Previously, they only did this when buying muliples of the same item, not different things, but still-----these were all in the same envelope. I'd be willing to bet if I checked with the post office, the shipping costs would have been less than what QVC charged. Won't be ordering anything for a while now.

Thank you for sharing your concern.  Please keep in mind the shipping and handling cost is not just for the postage. It also includes the packaging and label. I remember the discount on multiple items and that is a good suggestion to bring back.  I will forward your post to the proper department for future consideration.

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

ITA...

@Having worked in manufacturing, I can only imagine the large volume discount QVC and its vendors get on packaging. Mailer, labels and corrugated.  I can buy 2  8 X 11 mailers @ the dollar store for a dollar.  

Respected Contributor

I miss that also! Thank you for bringing it up.

Respected Contributor

Yeah if they're shipping multiple items in the same package they should combine shipping.

I ordered 5 items from Bed Bath and Beyond recently - received five different packages.  Which I wasn't wild about.  But free shipping.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Paulette-QVC wrote:

@qualityshopper wrote:

Thank you for sharing your concern.  Please keep in mind the shipping and handling cost is not just for the postage. It also includes the packaging and label. I remember the discount on multiple items and that is a good suggestion to bring back.  I will forward your post to the proper department for future consideration.

@Paulette-QVC I respectfully point out that if shipping and handling includes the cost of packaging and label, then in this case QVC saved, but not the customer. Instead of the cost of 3 packages and 3 labels, Q only used 1 package and 1 label, making it even cheaper for QVC, yet the customer was still charged as if 3 packages and 3 labels were used. I realize package weight makes a difference, but with jewelry the weight is usually insignificant. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For whatever it's worth, discounts for items shipped via USPS First-Class Mail, which is the standard for the Q's jewelry and other small packages, are nearly nonexistent; I actually think that's one of the reasons the multi-item shipping discounts for customers were eliminated. (There are some good discounts for bulk shipping through UPS, but the USPS discount rates available are typically in cents rather than dollars.)

QVC has always based its profit model on the inclusion of shipping costs from customers, and I doubt that will change anytime soon. At this point, drastically changing the shipping and pricing approach would probably mean the end of the Q. But unfortunately for both sides, I'm guessing that many customers will shop less and less from QVC now that so many competitors offer free shipping—those constant delivery costs, reasonable as they may be, can really add up.