Respected Contributor

Re: Why plus sizes 3 inches longer

I absolutely agree, it doesn’t make sense to me either because I need the reverse.

Why do I have to buy a larger size just to get it longer? I am actually a medium but I often have to get the extra large simply because I need the extra inches in length. 

It seems to me a larger person would need the extra inches if they are buying it in a size that is too small for them to begin with.

Honored Contributor

When I got fatter I didn’t get any taller. Neither did a single one of my plus sized friends. We might need a slightly longer jacket or top length, but none of us needs longer pants. 

Respected Contributor

It seems basic to me, although someone will surely get bent out of shape over it. So pretend the top is designed to hit right above the knee. For someone "straight up and down", that certain size will fall at that location. For someone whose tummy or chest or rear extends forward or out a few or more inches, that impacts where the garment will fall. The fabric inches are used up going forward or out and there aren't as many inches left at the bottom of the garment to be able to reach that originally-designed length.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've stopped buying fashion from QVC. Three of the last four items I purchased were returned. I'm 5'2" and a 2X mostly because of bust size. I take a regular petite jean. The tops were so long that they could have been dresses. Back they went. The one top I kept, a cardigan, was also too long but I liked the color and fabric so I kept that but I don't wear it a lot.

Another "gripe" of mine is the neckliine on larger sizes. If the bust fits me  the necklines on many tops are ridiculously large. Why can't women's shirts have different neck sizes like men's shirts?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My initial thought was the same as those who answered that plus sized women have more volume.  I looked up the pants on Talbots, though, and the Missy and Plus sized pants are the same length.  The same thing was true for Petite and Petite Plus sized pants.

Then I looked at Loft.  Their Plus Sized pants are 1/2" SHORTER than the Missy pants.

Edited to add:  From the next post I see that the OP was talking about tops.  I did look those up on Talbots, and they add 2 1/2" to both misses and petites for their plus sizes.  It has to be because plus sized women are bigger all around.  That makes sense to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to agree with @CAcableGirl2—it all has to do with the assumption (which is often true) that larger women have larger chests. I know that is the case for me, and I'd have to say the majority of the plus-size tops I encounter actually do not include substantial added length to coordinate with the larger sizes. In many cases, that means they do not fit properly because the proportions have not been appropriately accounted for in the design. On a related note, I wish designers/manufacturers would stop making so many plus-size tops in the tunic length; it seems like a lazy approach to just produce wide, long tops without any shape, which certainly is not flattering when you have a rectangle trying to highlight (or at least manage) curves.

Valued Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

The extra length is required to cover the increase in body volume.  There have been several posts.  There do exist petite sizes.

But that wouldn't be if the garment was made per size. If it's made for the plus size, it would cover the width needed. The added width should not shrink the length if made correctly

Valued Contributor

Few things are offered in petite. And even when they are, the length can be a joke, such as in pants. Petite size pants have an inseam of 28 usually. I would think that is more of an average inseam. I know my inseam, which is 23, is rare and I wouldn't expect them to offer anything like like that. But even 25 or 26 would be better.

Honored Contributor

If one is wearig the correct size, a larger person will not take up more garment width.  That's the craziest thing I've ever heard.  

Valued Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Whosits  Try Ralph Lauren designs. I think their plus size items are not as long as other designers.

Maybe the designers that you are looking at tend to add inches to the length to offset the width of the extra material that is covering the chest, since often the chest area is larger on plus size ladies and would naturally raise the length in order to cover the larger chest.

No I think it is a QVC policy. Also, if the garment is made for the plus size, it would, or should, be made to the corresponding length.