Trusted Contributor

Why do In stock orders go from ‘in process’ to ‘backordered’?

[ Edited ]

This has happened several times recently.  Instead of waiting for weeks and wondering I now just cancel as soon as status says backordered. I receive a confirmation email with a delivery date and hours or days later it’s backordeted....doesn’t make sense this is the only place I’ve had this happen. 

Super Contributor

Re: Why do In stock orders go from ‘in process’ to ‘backordered’?

This just happened with me for the second time!  QVC what is wrong with you?  Just what does backordered mean?  I resent placing an order when it says my item is in stock and then find out 5 days later that you don't really have it and it's now backordered!  For how long are we talking about?  Really QVC?  I cancelled an earlier order when QVC did this to me from a lunchtime special.  I guess I'll have to do again.  I just don't understand QVC anymore these days.

Respected Contributor

Great question!  I had it happen with the same item from Carolyn Pollack bead necklace & bracelet a few months ago.  I waited a while and tried re-ordering and the same thing happened so I guess I wasn't supposed to have that red bead set Woman Frustrated

I didn't call CS because I thought they would not be able to explain it...

Good luck to you and I hope you can get what you want.

Cathy

Super Contributor

I, too have had it happen to me.  Personally I think it is because they "oversell" the item and then have to wait for someone to return an item so they ship it out again.  If no one returns quickly your order is canceled.  I know it happened once when I was going to send a check and they sold the item out from under me as I had ordered it the day before it sold out.  CS told me they ship the orders to whoever pays first...??? go figure.  Doesn't matter if you order first, it is who pays first so if their card processes before yours, you go on backorder.  Not very good way to do business.

QVC Customer Care

@equss

I apologize for the inconvenience that a backorder causes our customers. A backorder happens when the amount of inventory (especially by color or size) that a vendor provided us with turns out to have fallen short. We generally give the manufacturer several weeks to come up with the amount needed.

Again I am sorry that this has happened.

Beth QVC

Honored Contributor

@Beth-QVC  or any mod:

What is the difference, then, between "waitlisted" and "Backordered" if both provide the customer with the product in the end?

If something is waitlisted, doesn't that means it's backordered? I've had items that were available and were "in process" and then suddenly it's "backordered" and then it ships a few days later. But the same things happens with waitlisted items too. Just curious is there's an actual difference : )

Valued Contributor

This happened to me today.  An item that was in stock yesterday(Bethlehem Lights wreath - multi-colored lights- As Is) went to backorder this morning.  I ordered a different item similar to it (swag multi-colored lights - As Is).  A few minutes ago, the backordered item was back "In Process".

I was afraid the backordered item wouldn't come in time for Christmas, so I ordered the swag. There are no more "as Is" wreaths or swags (multi-colored lights). I hope both of these orders go through - but they mght be backordered.

Valued Contributor

The wreath went to Backorder - from "In Process" 15 minutes ago.  "In Process" to "Backorder" to "In Process" to "Backorder"..... What gives?  My head is swirling around right now.  Am I in an alternate universe, along with the other In Process/Backorder customers?

Super Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Beth-QVC  or any mod:

What is the difference, then, between "waitlisted" and "Backordered" if both provide the customer with the product in the end?

If something is waitlisted, doesn't that means it's backordered? I've had items that were available and were "in process" and then suddenly it's "backordered" and then it ships a few days later. But the same things happens with waitlisted items too. Just curious is there's an actual difference : )

From what a CS rep told me "waitlist" means more is expected and will arrive soon and "backordered' means they sold out and QVC ordered more and hope they can get them but not definite. If manufacture can fill the order within 6 weeks it will ship.  

I have noticed a few stragglers come back in stock (in a variety of sizes) and it ships out off my waitlist order in clothes or shoes so I imagine it is a return or canceled order as it does not appear to be a full restocked order as not all sizes are available.  

Honored Contributor

@janz  Thanks! That makes perfect sense : )