Esteemed Contributor

Re: When Duplicate Order Arrives

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that when someone sends you something you didn't request, it is a gift and you can dispose of it as you please.  Keep it or throw it away, give it away...

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

I think Norsdtorm once sent me a wrong item, I called to complain.  They told me to keep it and sent me the right item.  This was a long time ago.

I had another time, when small laptops were new (1996 I think), I ordered a very expensive laptop from IBM (like $8,000), and I received a box of plastic paper.  I freaked out!!!  The package had tracking and everything.  I did want them to have the stuff back so they knew I wasn't stealing a computer.  They credited my card back, and I figured this was a sign and bought a far less expensive computer, I think about $2,000.  I wondered who got the computer... 

When QVC has sent me the wrong thing, they do want it back before they send you the right thing.  They are not customer friendly...

Contributor

NYCLatinaLaw

THANKS for that link!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting topic.   Years ago we actually went to a Best Buy and bought two television sets.  At the time they were not as fancy as now, nor as large.  We were setting them up so the kids could have their own in their rooms when they were teenagers.  We didn't realize until we looked at the receipt at home that the cashier only charged us for one.

We returned to the store and paid for the other one.

I've never received anything extra in the mail though.