What’s wrong with using proper English, Webster’s Dictionary should be checked.

Lots of hosts are using the word fabrication to describe fabric. Fabrication in Webster's dictionary means A LIE. So if you're trying to warn the audience that the fabric is fake then fabrication is the correct word. But to use fabrication in the place of fabric makes me wonder has anyone read a book over the last 50 years? 

Honored Contributor

Re: What’s wrong with using proper English, Webster’s Dictionary should be checked.

That word, fabrication, bothers me too.  I think because it is a bigger word than fabric the hosts think it makes them look intelligent--NO!

Honored Contributor

Re: What’s wrong with using proper English, Webster’s Dictionary should be checked.

The use of the word fabrication to describe fabric is now used and accepted throughout the garment industry.  It was widely used long before QVC hosts started using it.  Perhaps Mr. Webster needs to review this word for his dictionary.  Words are not static and unchanging; they and their meaning change with the times.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

This is how I always used the words.  Fabric is the material used to make the product.  But what do I know?  Words and meanings change and so be it, but it still doesn't sound right to me.

noun: fabrication; plural noun: fabrications
  1. the action or process of manufacturing or inventing something.

•  a lie.
      "the story was a complete fabrication
Honored Contributor

The root word of fabrication is fabric.  Therefore, to fabricate means to make something.  Fabricate may mean to be made of steel, cloth, stone.  Using it to describe a falsehood is an old definition, but still used but it has other definitions as well.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

all that I can say is that the fabric or whatever term you want to use for liquid knit , is that it holds body heat and I cannot wear it  during  the summer .

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

all that I can say is that the fabric or whatever term you want to use for liquid knit , is that it holds body heat and I cannot wear it  during  the summer .

@skatting44 

LOL, but true.

Respected Contributor

@brhun wrote:

Lots of hosts are using the word fabrication to describe fabric. Fabrication in Webster's dictionary means A LIE. So if you're trying to warn the audience that the fabric is fake then fabrication is the correct word. But to use fabrication in the place of fabric makes me wonder has anyone read a book over the last 50 years? 

fab·​ri·​ca·​tion
| \ ˌfa-bri-ˈkā-shən \
Definition of fabrication

1: the act or process of fabricating
2: a product of fabricationespecially : LIE, FALSEHOOD
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@brhun @mom2four0418 This word does not onlly mean to fabricate a lie or something similar.

It has been used in the clothing world for a long time.

I think it's stupid but it is a proper word to use for clothing.

Honored Contributor

@brhun wrote:

@brhun Language changeth as timeth goeth on. Ye might not but beest sore to readeth lots of things anon.  But languages changeth as timeth goeth on.