Respected Contributor

Re: What's the point of having different forums?

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Is there a guide on what each forum is for?

No just the title.

Plenty of subject matter overlaps.

Good morning, @Lipstickdiva. Have a wonderful day!

I've noticed that some people on this board shake their heads so much that they must get a lot of headaches.  "SMH" always brings to mind a certain scene in The Exorcist.  LOL!

I wish I could do an exorcism.  Woman Wink

....and then some!! Smiley Wink 

Feel the big Whoosh!!! LOL

Honored Contributor

Most likely SYH.

Honored Contributor

Hedge wrote:

I'm so sorry to see this thread reduced to argy-bargy, since @JaneMarple brought up a legitimate subject. 

There are a few posters who > routinely < post totally off topic threads, justifying it by saying they know some, maybe even several who read this particular forum are also interested in this completely un-related topic.

. . . and your point is what?

Are you presuming we can't find our way around to other forums, so you'd better post your announcements here, where it makes no sense?

Would I post baseball scores or recipes in the Dooney & Bourke forum, saying I know some of my fellow Dooney fans also follow sports, or occasionally cook something?

No!

I have enough respect for them to figure they can find the right forums, and respect for Dooney lovers to not fill their forum with posts about dog food, current events, or the upcoming schedule of HSN's resident pill pusher.

Hi, @x Hedge!   I'm way behind in reading threads and the storm here is about to convince me to log out...   but I wanted to quote your well-stated post.    I agree with you.    Unless a forum has only one category for everything to land in, it's logical and respectful for us to place threads in the proper category.   

I would add that when we limit ourselves to one (or just a few) subforums I think we also limit our awareness of the actual variety in this community.   Sometimes I think one reason posters believe there's no activity or no "interesting threads" is because they don't check several subforums.  Only takes a minute to click/tap a different forum name and scan the active thread topics.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I'm so sorry to see this thread reduced to argy-bargy, since @JaneMarple brought up a legitimate subject. 

There are a few posters who > routinely < post totally off topic threads, justifying it by saying they know some, maybe even several who read this particular forum are also interested in this completely un-related topic.

. . . and your point is what?

Are you presuming we can't find our way around to other forums, so you'd better post your announcements here, where it makes no sense?

Would I post baseball scores or recipes in the Dooney & Bourke forum, saying I know some of my fellow Dooney fans also follow sports, or occasionally cook something?

No!

I have enough respect for them to figure they can find the right forums, and respect for Dooney lovers to not fill their forum with posts about dog food, current events, or the upcoming schedule of HSN's resident pill pusher.

Spot on @x Hedge!

It's about respect & courtesy. 

Jmho, I appreciate when the moderators move threads to the appropriate forum when they're started in the wrong one.

Helps as a reminder to everybody to remember the rules apply to all of us.

Respected Contributor

I just pointed out to several posters that their conversation on waffle irons was taking place on the fashion forum, didn't phase them.

QVC Customer Care

@chessylady wrote:

I just pointed out to several posters that their conversation on waffle irons was taking place on the fashion forum, didn't phase them.

Hi @chessylady

The thread you are referring to has already been moved to the Kitchen Forum.  Thank you.

Barb

Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I honestly don't care where posts are. Majority of the posts on each forum DO stay on topic. Community Chat to me, means posts whatever.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

Is there a guide on what each forum is for?

No just the title.

Plenty of subject matter overlaps.

Good morning, @Lipstickdiva. Have a wonderful day!

I've noticed that some people on this board shake their heads so much that they must get a lot of headaches.  "SMH" always brings to mind a certain scene in The Exorcist.  LOL!

I glad I'm not the only one who has other thoughts when they see that posted. It could probably be effective used now & then, but for some reason every time I see someone write "SMH" the image of a bobblehead doll comes to mind which in turn makes me think of the term bubblehead and I laugh. You have to admit, that's a better image than The Exorcist which was just creepy! Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are subforums that aren't very active, but I think they would become more active if threads were moved to their appropriate categories.  More people would venture out of Community Chat if they knew they could only post about their garden in the Garden forum, for example.   The fact that some of the categories are redundant contributes to the inactivity of some subforums; it would be nice to see things pared down a bit.

So it's great to have things nicely organized into categories, but I can understand why people go to a certain forum to post with their friends, particularly if they are suffering in some way.  I think I would be upset if I started a thread in Community Chat about my pet dying because I felt like I had friends there, and then it got moved to Pets, where I don't usually post.  Not because I have a problem with there being categories, but because I want support from friends when I'm suffering.

It's also kind of unclear which things aren't supposed to be placed in the Community Chat category.  A person can "chat" about anything, so if there are rules for what isn't allowed there (like talking about cherries or Memorial Day or whatever), they should be clarified.  Everyone knows those topics could go in other forums, but they could also go in Community Chat, because the title "Community Chat" is rather vague.  If it's supposed to be a miscellaneous category where only things that don't belong in other categories go, that should be made clear.

I don't know whether or not moving threads out of CC would be a good thing or a bad thing.  What could wind up happening is that all of the arguing that occurs in CC--that you don't see a lot of in some of the other forums--could wind up spreading to the other forums.  Or perhaps people would be less likely to argue in "Home" or "Garden" than they would in CC.  Everyone who has been here for years knows that CC used to be "Viewpoints," so CC has continued on as a place to debate (about grammar, and celebrities you've never met, LoL).

In a way, the change of name from "Viewpoints" to "Community Chat" may be responsible for some of the confusion about what should or shouldn't be posted there.  "Viewpoints" was obviously a place to express your views, while "Community Chat" could mean just about anything.  I'm sure the change was made in an effort to get away from the idea that it's a place for debates, but a lot of people have been on the boards a long time and just consider it to be a continuation of Viewpoints.  Others see it as a place to chit chat like you might with somebody you don't really know that well.

So I think if there is a rule that you can't talk about food or celebrities in Community Chat, the people who run this site should make it known.  Perhaps that would stop some of the bickering and confusion about what is supposed to be posted in Community Chat and what isn't.

My apologies to the mods if there is some part of the forum where this specific issue (regarding what topics don't go in Community Chat) has already been addressed by mods or admins.  If it has, please link me (and others) to where it has been addressed.  Thank you.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org