Valued Contributor

[This review was collected as part of a promotion.] In the reviews section of an item? 

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

[This review was collected as part of a promotion.] In the reviews section of an item? 

Someone was given the item free to try.

Respected Contributor

Re: What does this mean

[ Edited ]

I’m not certain on the Q, but once I was given a free full size product from L’Occitane, and were asked to review it, when I submitted it, it was similar wording.  

But I never, ever seem to be on the Qs sample group.  Haha.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe it to mean that the person was given the product free in exchange for a review.  I could be wrong.  I never go by those reviews, but sometimes they aren't always glowing.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@HonestLife - If the item is new to QVC I think it could also mean the vendor gave the item at no charge to someone on the vendor's website (not QVC) in exchange for a thorough review.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

So this item was given for free and they expect an honest review? Hmm..sounds like bribery for a good review. Thank you all! I'm not going to believe these reviews hold much muster. I was thinking the reviewer purchased the item on sale or free shipping. Not given to them. 

Honored Contributor

first time I ever saw that at QVC.  Have seen something very similar many times on Amazon.  Sometimes quite a few times for the same book, for example.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HonestLife - Based on invitations I've received to provide reviews as part of promotions as well as the details I've seen on other sites that use reviews provided as part of promotions, there are a few potential answers:

• The item may have been provided at no cost in return for a review.
• The item may have been provided at a discount in return for a review.
• The reviewer may have been offered a coupon or discount on a future
   purchase if they provided a review on a recent purchase.
• The reviewer may have been part of a product focus group that offered some
   type of compensation for participation and providing a product review.

But the most important note is this: On QVC's website, I've never seen any of these "collected as part of a promotion" reviews that actually came from a QVC customer. All of them were provided to QVC from the vendor's website, typically when a new item is being introduced or when a well-known brand finally makes it into the Q's inventory. (Fortunately, many of these reviews are now also labeled with "Written by a customer visiting XYZ.com" so the source is clear.)

If you have any examples of promotional reviews that do appear to have been provided by QVC customers, I'd actually be interested in the item numbers...

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

So this item was given for free and they expect an honest review? Hmm..sounds like bribery for a good review. Thank you all! I'm not going to believe these reviews hold much muster. I was thinking the reviewer purchased the item on sale or free shipping. Not given to them. 

How do you know they weren't being honest?  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954  Sorry my question was misunderstood.