Honored Contributor

Re: What Browsers are You Using?

@gertrudecloset   Thanks for the clarification...so I could use Duck Duck Go instead of Google as a search engine.  I am concerned about privacy and like the concept of DDG...do I also have to be concerned for my browser - Safari?  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I just wanted to see who is having problems (could be browser related).  Sometimes when systems upgrade they are not optimized for certain browsers.  Have you ever been to a website that tells you which browser they prefer you use for the best experience on their site?  I have.  Just thinking about browsers and if there is a connection to signing on.

@Foxxeehave you had trouble logging on with Edge?

@gertrudecloset 

Yes, I see why you would suspect IT hadn't optimized all the browsers.  

I previously had a few intermittent problems with logging on to the Forum in past months, but refreshing or exiting the page worked.  The past few days I had no problems until today.  

This morning when I tried to log on to the Forum, I was sent to QVC's home page. I could read the posts though.  

I played around, clearing my browsing history, deleted cookies, turned off my computer.  Nothing worked.  Then thought of changing my password.  That worked. 

Later in the day, an OP had a problem logging off.  I gave it a try.  I was logged off, but couldn't get back on.  Again I was sent to QVC's home page.  Had to change my password again to get back on. 

I recall all of us had a problem with being sent to QVC's home page several months ago, so this isn't new.  

If you didn't see my prior post, Kim, the Social Team moderator told me a system update caused the problem and was fixed, but, obviously, it wasn't. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Apple devices. 😊

For my Mac, I use the Brave, Firefox, Chrome and Safari browsers (Firefox and Brave preferred).   For iPad and iPhone, I use Safari, Brave, and Chrome (Safari and Brave preferred).

All are the most up-to-date versions.

Unfortunately, the recent problems here have been the same no matter which of the browsers I've used.

We see variation in experiences here, in part, due not just to which browser is in use, but also

which kind/model of device,

whether or not we use browser extensions/addons (and if we do, which ones and are they updated),

how we've configured the browser and device settings,

whether our operating system software is the most current version,

and whether the browsers are the current versions.   

The "housekeeping" I often post about, regarding making sure we frequently clear all cookies/cache/website data, or making sure our browser does this for us when we close/quit it, and occasionally updating bookmarks/favorites (to be sure the URLs are up-to-date) makes a big difference, too.

So many factors at play.   

That's why websites can have major problems interacting well with everyone's combinations and permutations.

QVC's site historically hasn't played well with certain browsers and devices (particularly Apple, more specifically iPads and iPhones although oddly enough the mobile Safari browser works fairly well here while Safari for Apple computers can be problematic). 

Also, QVC's FAQ page of recommended browsers seldom is updated.

As with all of the tech problems we encounter here, it usually falls to us to help each other troubleshoot and resolve problems.

Thanks for this thread, @gertrudecloset, and your interest in helping everyone! 😊

The detective work continues, and as everyone discovers clues and secret doors they've been sharing them with others to try.   That's what we call a real "community!"thumbs up gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Thanks for the clarification...so I could use Duck Duck Go instead of Google as a search engine.  I am concerned about privacy and like the concept of DDG...do I also have to be concerned for my browser - Safari?  

@phoenixbrd 

I use DDG and Safari.

Have for years with no issue.

GOOD BYE GOOGLE and all the tracking.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd 

I use DDG and Safari.

Have for years with no issue.

GOOD BYE GOOGLE and all the tracking.

I've used the DuckDuckGo search engine for years, too, @Drythe@gertrudecloset@phoenixbrd, with no problems.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

'Startpage' is another good 'google by proxy' search engine.

I also have nothing 'google' on my machines, too invasive.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I always use Chrome

Esteemed Contributor

I know little to nothing about computer lingo.  I am using Chrome now because a few years back I couldn't open my email with IE.  Charter helped me with it and I ended up with Chrome.  (?)  Anyway, my question is, (please bear with me) how would I use a different search engine?  Would I type it into the search bar?  How does one take Chrome off their computer?  Just stop using it?  It seems to know everything!

I only use an old Dell laptop.  Woman Embarassed

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

I know little to nothing about computer lingo.  I am using Chrome now because a few years back I couldn't open my email with IE.  Charter helped me with it and I ended up with Chrome.  (?)  Anyway, my question is, (please bear with me) how would I use a different search engine?  Would I type it into the search bar?  How does one take Chrome off their computer?  Just stop using it?  It seems to know everything!

I only use an old Dell laptop.  Woman Embarassed

@tends2dogs,  When you want to install a new browser (Mozilla Firefox, for example), just go to their developer's official website and download from there.   

Then, you can "import" settings, bookmarks, etc., from your current browser (in this case Chrome) so you don't have to do it all manually. 

Just take it one step at a time, so you'll feel comfy with the process.

Once it's installed and set up, you launch the new browser to go go the internet. 

You might want to keep the older browser on your device as a backup to use for troubleshooting since you already have it configured to your liking -- or you can simply remove it as you would any other application.😊

Super Contributor

I use Edge and Firefox when my online banking on occasion doesn't like Edge. 

I am having issues logging in to the forums with my laptop. I tried Edge, Firefox and Chrome and I keep getting that horrid loop to sign in and then when i want to reply it wants me to sign in again. This is only for the forums, and not Q proper. Grrrrrrrr. Right now I am using my desktop and have no issues siginng in with Edge. I plan to reboot and clean up junk on my laptop and see if that solves the problem.