Esteemed Contributor

WHY DON'T QVC SHUT DOWN THE SITE ?

It seems to be getting worse!  I am so glad that I someone mentioned about chrome not being secure.    I had my debit card hacked. I am not sure what happened   I know it was something to do with QVC.  This is scary.  Please if you have to shut down do it , we understand., but all I know is I tried to make a payment and it would not go through.  I kinda forgot about it and next thing I know I get a new card in the mail.  Then a new pin a few days later.  When I called the bank, they said my card had been comprimised.

Honored Contributor

Re: WHY DON'T QVC SHUT DOWN THE SITE ?

"I am not sure what happened   I know it was something to do with QVC."

"When I called the bank, they said my card had been comprimised."

Did the bank tell you it was QVC?  If not, what makes you think it was them?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

What makes you think it was anything to do with QVC?  There have been major hacks everywhere and they had nothing to do with the Q.

Google and Yahoo were hacked (so Chrome, too).  That was a massive hack and hundreds of thousands of people's information was stolen.  I've had my CCs compromised by data breaches on national supermarkets and chain stores.

I've just been alerted about a data breach that affects at least ten states, whose job websites were contracted out to a particular company.  I spent hours on Saturday having to freeze my credit with the big three agencies.

I'm afraid it's a fact of modern life.  The Internet is a double-edged sword. 

Honored Contributor

While I agree that they need to make fixing the site a priority, I would like to know how you know it had anything to do with QVC.

I've had several cards compromised over the last 6 years and learned some things about it as a result. There are numerous ways for cards to be compromised and it's very difficult to determine where and how it happened without outside help. In a case where my bank pulled my card because it may have been compromised, it was because a brick and mortar vendor reported they may have some lost receipts or have been hacked and had nothing to do with a card being used online. Further, the bank turned my card off out of an abundance of precaution and it was never even fraudulently used.

You can have your card information stolen at a restaurant where you hand your card to a server who walks away with it. You can have it stolen by someone who photographs your card while it's on the table. You can have your information stolen when you use your card on a gas pump or any location where you insert and remove your card without a chip reader. You can have your data compromised when a site is hacked. So many ways.

So did your bank tell you it was QVC or is QVC the only place you ever used that card? 

Honored Contributor

How do you know your card was compromised by QVC?

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue - Well said!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had a card compromised a couple of times and when I asked my bank how it had occurred they told me they could not give me that information so I doubt her bank told her who it was.  IF she tried to make a payment to QVC and it would not go through perhaps her bank had already discovered the breach and was in the process of closing down her account when she tried to use it to make the payment. I don't know how she can be positive it was a QVC issue.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because Q was the last transaction that it was used on.   It worked fine until then.  I don't know for sure but seriously if you sign in on Google chrome you can see it is not secure.  I never knew that till I saw it posted here.  I always use Chrome.   

No my bank didn't say who it was BUT whoever said the bank won't tell you?  That is wrong.  I had my card .hacked before and they told me who it was.   

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

While I agree that they need to make fixing the site a priority, I would like to know how you know it had anything to do with QVC.

I've had several cards compromised over the last 6 years and learned some things about it as a result. There are numerous ways for cards to be compromised and it's very difficult to determine where and how it happened without outside help. In a case where my bank pulled my card because it may have been compromised, it was because a brick and mortar vendor reported they may have some lost receipts or have been hacked and had nothing to do with a card being used online. Further, the bank turned my card off out of an abundance of precaution and it was never even fraudulently used.

You can have your card information stolen at a restaurant where you hand your card to a server who walks away with it. You can have it stolen by someone who photographs your card while it's on the table. You can have your information stolen when you use your card on a gas pump or any location where you insert and remove your card without a chip reader. You can have your data compromised when a site is hacked. So many ways.

So did your bank tell you it was QVC or is QVC the only place you ever used that card? 

Honored Contributor

My DH had his card hacked and it was used by an online gamer for $8.95 each time.  He about eight charges in total.  He almost never uses his cc and has never used it for an online purchase. It was never used at a restaurant or for gas.  He only uses this card to pay for our TV cable bill automatically each month.

We have no idea where he was compromised or who did it.  All we know is that it was used to play video games on line.

The  CC card company ( credit union) refunded all of the charges after he filed out paperwork and reported it.