Esteemed Contributor

US Mail dumping packages in yard

On Saturday, I heard a vehicle in my driveway and I looked out and saw a mail truck turning around. I looked out and didn't see any package on the porch so I thought maybe he was just turning around. I went out a couple of hours later and as I was driving out, I see a package that had been left on the edge of my yard just off of my driveway.

I'm sure that you will tell me that I need to call the USPS to explain my problem but since they NEVER answer their phones, that's a lost cause and a waste of my time. IMO QVC needs to go back to having UPS deliver the packages directly not thru the "smart post or whatever it is called" these days. UPS delivered to my porch! they don't just chuck boxes onto the edge of the driveway.

Honored Contributor

Re: US Mail dumping packages in yard

I have no issues where I am with USPS.  They either put my packages (if small enough) in between the door and storm door or set them nicely next to the steps and always put them in a plastic bag if it is raining or will rain.  They also knock on the door when they have packages.  There should be an option to choose to forego USPS delivery but it might be an extra charge since the purpose of doing this is to save money.

Honored Contributor

It just depends on the situation where you live but I get much better service from the USPS than I do UPS.  I've had several UPS parcels lost, destroyed, or delayed for up to 2 weeks (lost?).  Saturday, when there is no UPS delivery, one of my Zulily items was loaded on a delivery vehicle, but not delivered.  Today nothing has changed; will it be delivered or not?  It's on a vehicle but not out for delivery.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I think it varies from one area to another.  I'm lucky that I get pretty good service from both UPS and USPS.  I have more issues with FedEx, actually.  They used to be pretty good, but have gone downhill lately around here.

I do think no carrier should leave packages in your front yard.  Good grief.  I once was able to find the USPS website and logged a complaint with them there when I had an issue with a substitute carrier who said she couldn't find my address with a package, returning to to the P.O.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

I truly do not understand the ins and outs of delivery these days. I have found packages in front of my garage, at my back door, and at my front door. Now I know better than to assume that any of these deliveries will come to my front door, as I requested. I also have no idea who is delivering some of my packages. The whole system is loony and incomprehensible.

Honored Contributor

My USPS guy (the regular one) is great about always ringing my doorbell and putting a package between my storm door and my front door.  My UPS guy does the same, but he must be afraid of my doorbell because he barely even taps the bell.

Trusted Contributor

Our postal person stuffs our mailbox so full sometimes that some of our items have been damaged or destroyed. One day, they stuffed 3 QVC packages in the box....for a total of 3 pairs of jeans and 2 tops. I ordered a Lug bag and they folded the package in half and stuffed it in the box...I could hardly get it out. Many of my husband’s certificates have been folded/bent, even when they’re marked Do Not Bend.  I’ve tried to discuss this with them....once I was told there was nothing they could/would do about it. They said they’re much too busy to put things by the door. Very frustrating.

Respected Contributor

You might want to try going to the USPS website & e mail your problem to them. I had a problem & they got in touch with the local post office. The local post office then called me to resolve the problem. So if they don't answer at your post office this may work.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

You might want to try going to the USPS website & e mail your problem to them. I had a problem & they got in touch with the local post office. The local post office then called me to resolve the problem. So if they don't answer at your post office this may work.

I highly recommend complaining.  If you complain to us, it does no good ever, but if you call, e-mail or go by the post office (preferably the main office and talk to the post master or someone in charge) you are very likely to get the situation improved.

We have a fantastic carrier!  He is nice and helpful, brings all packages to the door if they don't fit the box, and does his best for us.

We had a new guy for about 2 or three months after THE best carrier ever retired, and we basically stopped getting mail some days and little mail other days.  Well let me tell you he didn't last long because people complained.

The carrier we had at our last house kept up with everyone on his route, made sure the elderly were there and doing ok, and even came out a few times on his day off and, I kid you not, mowed one little old ladie's yard when she couldn't find someone new. 

But please always complain.  There are lots of good people looking for and deserving good jobs!  And that's a good job that shouldn't go to waste! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good luck calling the Post Office.  Can you even find their number?  Even if you finally talk to someone, they won't care, or will act concerned but forget about it the minute they hang up the phone.