Esteemed Contributor

Re: To Any Moderator: Blocking

@Pearlee wrote:
@wildcat fan. The political comments are by the same "sneaky" people who are longtime posters, know the rules, but completely disregard them. The political comments are quite obvious, although the posters think they have cleverly made them under the radar. Think about it: they can't be too under the radar or the point wouldn't be made. Sad that those posters have so little self control that they can't just go post on a board that allows political comments but have to not-very-cleverly keep breaking the rules here.

@Pearlee I use "flying under the radar" in a loose sense.  I am 100% positive that QVC knows they are there.  

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

But what if the mods see it differently than we do?  What if they are waiting to see if we can handle it ourselves? 

Others here have talked about ignoring.  It really does work.  For it to work for you you will probably have to come to the conclusion that.... It doesn't make sense to  you to tie up so much of  your emotional well-being on someone who shows no good will towards you at all.  If we can learn that...... it can help us immensely when it comes to how we react to anyone, anywhere, at any time. 

YOU can become your own ignore button! There are plenty of people here who want to talk to you and have good will towards you.  I hope that you will be encouraged by that.  

By the way, I love your doggie avatar.  I had a dog years ago that looked just like that.  We called her, Hilda.

@jubilant  👋 Pleasantries first...Thank you! Our precious little guy is part dachshund and is just the cutest and sweetest dog! ❤️ I also changed my nic 2 or 3 weeks ago, but it still hasn't taken yet. It was approved, and shows up under "My Account" but nowhere else. It's not earth shatteringly important, so I didn't bother with customer service. I'm not loving gardening to the extent as before, so I wanted a change.

As far as the other...Yes, I know to ignore those nasty posters and have been doing so for the past 10 years. My point is simply why do any of us have to deal with them in the first place? You still have to read their posts that are snarky and even just plain mean. A "block" or "ignore" feature would put an end to it. I didn't realize it would be that difficult. I just discovered the "tag" feature that looks to be a lot more involved than a block feature would be. It also explains how they, at times, appear to travel in packs.

It's just sad that these people are so miserable that they find the need to so offensive to fellow posters. You're in for it if your opinion differs from theirs, or you make a mistake. Honestly, you could say it's Wednesday and they would argue with you about that. 🤪 I know that we All have our days, but it must be exhausting to always be so negative and nasty. It is what it is I suppose.

@Mimi 1883  The mods have said the ignore feature did not come with this new forum that came about some years ago. So there is no way to bring it back. I agree it was pretty handy to have.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 

I love dachshunds.  Ours was mostly dachshund with a bit of hound.  She looked just like yours. She threw her head up and howled every time the town noon whistle went off. It was so funny.  My kids were little then and we all got a big kick out of it!

I understand how you feel. I'm coming from a place in life where I have had to deal with  several very strong narcisscists for many years.  I have learned a lot about difficult people.  I tend to use the word "whatever" with them.  They  usually  hate that word...but  they leave me alone!  It seems to stop them dead in their tracks now so I guess when they hear it, they know I mean "no more".

I don't hate them and I don't enjoy cutting them off with one word  but it tends to be something they understand.  I can't say I enjoy doing it (well maybe sometimes LOL! )  but I would rather not have to.  They really are to be pitied. I don't believe they are very happy people.  Still, I refuse to let them come into my life and create havoc.  I ask God to help me to still have goodwill for them and I pray that they will come to see themselves for what they really are.  I pray that same thing for myself!  

Trusted Contributor

If a post bothers me I have no problem ignoring it. If a post offends me I also have no problem responding if necessary. I try not to respond "snarky" and admit in some circumstances I have lowered myself to their level. I do not expect everyone to agree with me and enjoy hearing others opinion. Regretfully some do not know how to respond without attacking or insulting. I can either choose to respond or move on. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago a mentor helped me to see that if we want someone to actually hear and think about our point of view we need to be mindful of the way we present it.   

We should "attack" the topic, we should not "attack" the other person or people in the discussion.   

If you watch for patterns, you'll see what I'm referencing.   

Abusive, unkind remarks make ears close and hearts shut down, no one learns anything, no one comes away enlightened or enriched, and over time friendships can be lost.   

When this happens, either the only goal is to agitate, poke, and insult (which is trolling, whether it's a new poster or established one), and they don't care if anyone "hears" them -- or the posters aren't aware how their comments come across.   

And yes, here on the Community many really wonderful people are gone as a direct result of the manner in which threads are disrupted, hijacked, and the way posters are subjected to personal unpleasantness.   

It's a real shame.

The Q moderators have a wide range of responsibilities far beyond trying to watch all the sub-forums, all the threads, all the replies to each thread, and then trying to weed out problematic patterns.   

They also can't function the same as someone with a general chat site, because they answer to a global retail corporation.   

I think, probably, when we have questions such as those raised in this thread the best avenue is to write respectful, carefully considered email messages to them.    They are a thoughtful, kind-hearted, experienced team of people who will listen...  but we do have to be mindful that there are considerations and constraints they can't tell us about.   

If we really do care about the health and well-being of the Community and the people who populate it... each of us -- including moi -- must pay attention to and own up to the part we play.   The kind of energy we bring to each discussion.   

I think if we all take responsibility it would help improve and lighten the atmosphere.

I do worry that continued negativity and disruption may very well result in Qurate closing the Community.   

Other forums have been shut down in favor of other social media, and we have no reason to think this one couldn't follow suit if it becomes more of a liability than an asset.

Thank you for an interesting thread, @Mimi 1883.   I share much of the same frustrations.   Good wishes to you and to all who read and post here.   Be well, safe, and protected.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo  Thank you for your post!  BTW, I Love your moving pic; so cute!

As I said, a post doesn't have to be lengthy or even controversial to get a nasty retort. It could be something as innocuous as saying today is Wednesday. I also realize customer service or moderators are busy, that's why a block or ignore button would be a great option. I've also heard of many posters, over the years, who have left because of being the recipients of verbal attacks. Yes, someday Q's forums could be a thing of the past. 

Good wishes to you as well! 🥰

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@dooBdoo  Thank you for your post!  BTW, I Love your moving pic; so cute!

As I said, a post doesn't have to be lengthy or even controversial to get a nasty retort. It could be something as innocuous as saying today is Wednesday. I also realize customer service or moderators are busy, that's why a block or ignore button would be a great option. I've also heard of many posters, over the years, who have left because of being the recipients of verbal attacks. Yes, someday Q's forums could be a thing of the past. 

Good wishes to you as well! 🥰

You're welcome and thank you for the kind sentiments.    I love your sweet dachshund!   One of my sisters has (and has had over the years) such adorable doxies, little wiggly lovebugs!

For sure the length of the thread is irrelevant.   And we definitely have lost posters as a direct result of the disruptive, negative activity.   People grow weary and leave.     

Regarding "ignore" or "block" capability, as others have said unfortunately QVC has told us the forum platform has no capability for it.   It's not on the table for consideration.   Q evidently purchased a canned, pre-programmed package back in summer 2015, they made only a few tiny modifications, and now they say there will not be any additional tweaks to the site.   Frankly, we're lucky it still works...  the growing number of technical glitches are barely addressed.  I hope the powers-that-be continue to allow the Community...  but I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall away if it continues to be a nightmare to try and moderate.  Take care, @Mimi 1883!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some posters really are contrarians.  They look for a fight.  

A few are scared right now and are lashing out when the don’t share a viewpoint.

The mods have pretty much ignored a thread I would characterize as bullying.  That, I find shocking, cause they shut down posts for much less.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

If "tagging" a poster is permitted, how can we "block" a poster(s)? 

There are trolling posters on these forums who's main purpose is to start fights and leave unnecessary and ugly comments. Over the years, have read many posters leaving because of these vicious people.

It doesn't matter if someone says they like a living room picture, or an item of makeup, or a mixer, these trolls will attack.

For 10 years I've seen it, and experienced it, happen over and over and over, AND IT HAS TO STOP!

It's unfortunate that so many have decided to stop posting here, but I respect that they made the choice that's best for them.  Fortunately, there are so many other online forums for people to participate in if they get tired of this one.