Honored Contributor

Re: Titles that are graphic...

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

As with anything in life, a person has to self-monitor......  if you read a title that you know will affect your mood or sensibilities, don't open it and read it!  If  you accidently open it and start reading it and then discover it's not what you should or want to read..... close the thread and read something else!

There is SO MUCH terrible, awful, horrendous news out there (and maddening) that I know that if I'm saturated in it (and it's easy to do when you're interested in the world) I will become sad and morose about "conditions" out there.  I'm interested, I "know" basically anyway, just don't want the details or the discussion about some things.  I have to self-monitor in order to be happy.  There's nothing I can do to fix any of it..... and what I can fix or contribute to, I usually do.

I believe each person is responsible for monitoring what they open, read and contribute to and if you're unable to do this then maybe forums and discussions groups aren't the best place for you to be....

JMHO 

But you are missing the point.  The titles are often extremely graphic or heartwrenching.  Obviously anyone can get out of a thread if they start reading and realize it's not something they want to continue on with.  But a thread title is in your face and there isn't a way around it.

Actually no, I didn't miss the point at all.... if the title is graphic or heartwrenching.... move on to another title.  Surely there are hearts that are tender enough to be upset by heartwreching titles.... but that's where the individual must know that it's upsetting to them.  Yes, they've already read the title but most of us make it to the ages we are and have toughened up a little bit to be able to at least read a graphic title and move on......  If it's THAT hard for someone to not be able to do that (and I don't doubt there are).....then as I mentioned, talking in a chat room sure isn't for them..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

As with anything in life, a person has to self-monitor......  if you read a title that you know will affect your mood or sensibilities, don't open it and read it!  If  you accidently open it and start reading it and then discover it's not what you should or want to read..... close the thread and read something else!

There is SO MUCH terrible, awful, horrendous news out there (and maddening) that I know that if I'm saturated in it (and it's easy to do when you're interested in the world) I will become sad and morose about "conditions" out there.  I'm interested, I "know" basically anyway, just don't want the details or the discussion about some things.  I have to self-monitor in order to be happy.  There's nothing I can do to fix any of it..... and what I can fix or contribute to, I usually do.

I believe each person is responsible for monitoring what they open, read and contribute to and if you're unable to do this then maybe forums and discussions groups aren't the best place for you to be....

JMHO 

But you are missing the point.  The titles are often extremely graphic or heartwrenching.  Obviously anyone can get out of a thread if they start reading and realize it's not something they want to continue on with.  But a thread title is in your face and there isn't a way around it.

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

JMHO 

EXACTLY!!! That is the POINT!!

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

JMHO 

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

JMHO 

EXACTLY!!! That is the POINT!!

Thank you.

And again, if the reader is that faint of heart that the title (even a horrific one) leaves them feeling as bad as you say, then they need to reconsider being in Chat Rooms.....  this particular chat room is one of the most benign I've ever been in.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*