Super Contributor

Re: Taxing more than they should

I understand your situation throughly, but a lawsuit occured a few years ago with the company Wayfair for not collecting the right amount of taxes for items being sold and they lost. This affected everyone online business after that. I suggest you look at your state and local sales tax laws before you order beause every so many years you vote and taxes are added to new items. In my state I have a state and a local sales tax even on food purcases. They have forward these taxes which they don't keep by paying it to the state auditor. They are the only one who can refund you sales tax collected, some merchants return all of the taxes as a part of doing business.

Honored Contributor

Every state I've heard of taxes shipping, I know mine does. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Many companies charge tax on the shipping / freight charges. It is legal. I also think that there are circumstances where you would be taxed on the regular retail price of an item even if you received a discount (the discount is subtracted after the regular price and tax is entered).  I know in the past I have paid tax on the Full Retail price of a cellphone, even if I got it at No Cost. The tax laws are very confusing and all states have different laws.

New Contributor

I agree!  Its a shame.

Esteemed Contributor

@SoonerLater wrote:

@lillypad21 wrote:

I was about to purchase an item that I saw online. I never shop on here. As I was checking out I realized the amount seemed high. They offer a discount for first time buyers, right now it is $15. They are taxing on both the full price of the item and the shipping. I have never seen this before. How can you tax on money you are not paying? This seems super shady. I have also, in all of my online shopping, ever paid tax on shipping! I just purhcased from HSN and it was correct. I was taxed on what I should have. Sorry, QVC seems too shady to shop at.

@lillypad21   I agree that shopping here would be stressful for you!  And there are millions of other places to shop as well. 

We always have at least one that has a sarcastic response. ! @SoonerLater 

Esteemed Contributor

@DrCase - Please stop bringing forth old threads. Since you are new, you might want to read the Community Standards to become familiar with what we can and cannot do on this Forum.