Honored Contributor

Re: TEMU - anyone try this site?

I was going to do a trial order for $14.98 and was informed they have a $20 minimum.  I backed out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@zitawins  My DD is all in on TEMU. She buys my granddaughter princess dresses for $1.50 and great shoes for $5.00. I refuse to use the site, because I just don't trust it. I think there has to be a scam lurking in there somewhere. 

Frequent Contributor

Chinese. No thanks.

Honored Contributor

I do not want to give my credit card directly to a Chinese company. I think it could be risky to do. 

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

@Mindy D   I use PayPal with an unknown and most known merchants, especially those overseas.  They've also gotten me out of at least one scam and got me a refund.  Almost everyone now takes it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  - So, if I were to try it, are you saying it will be safer to pay with Paypal?  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal    That's certainly what I'd do.  I don't trust Chinese enterprises, or those in any foreign country.  I use PayPal anytime it's available.  At least my info stays in the USA.

I went through the Temu

process right up to placing an order.  There's something about it that seems "off", or maybe I'm just paranoid, but I didn't have a good feeling.

Try it and see what you think.

Super Contributor

I absolutely love Temu.  I have so far placed five orders and have received everything, even received price adjustments from past orders.

I especially like their womens tops as they're long enough to cover the belly but unlike plus size clothing here, if sleevelss, the arm holes don't hang down past the bra so you can see everything.  They're a nice silky material, hang very nicely, quality made but cheap in price. Colors are vibrant!

I just placed another order for three more tops this morning! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please, please be careful.
I would never use Temu, and all the security professionals I know have warned people to stay far away from it.

Please, do an internet search for something such as "Temu cyber security" and read the articles.

As an example, here's an excerpt from Kim Komando's website 4/10/23 article recommending removing the app immediately:

"...Have you heard of Temu?

It’s the second most popular shopping app right now, only surpassed by the mighty Amazon.

Temu must be buying a ton of ad space because we’re seeing it everywhere.

Temu had a quiet launch last September and currently holds a 4.6-star rating on both the Apple Store and Google Play store.

It’s been downloaded more than 24 million times.

But Temu is dangerous.

Here’s a shocker for Temu shoppers

Temu bypasses your phone’s security to do the following:
          Monitor activity on other apps
          Track your notifications
          Reads private messages
          Change settings

As you shop, Temu quietly bypasses any firewall and gains access to your location and can track you.
It gets full access to all your contacts, calendars and photo albums, plus your social media accounts, chats and texts.

In other words, literally everything...

...Though the company is based in the U.S., Temu is owned by PDD Holdings, which is based in China.

And that company also owns Pinduoduo, which was recently removed from the Google Play store for containing malware..."

(source: several articles on Kim Komando's site regarding Temu)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D   I use PayPal with an unknown and most known merchants, especially those overseas.  They've also gotten me out of at least one scam and got me a refund.  Almost everyone now takes it.

Good point about using PayPal, @Kachina624.  Unfortunately, though, even if PayPal can help us resolve issues with purchases, they cannot undo the damage already done when apps such as Temu gain insidious access to our mobile devices.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova