Honored Contributor

Re: Something QVC moderators won't allow

[ Edited ]

@shopperqvc,  QVC's moderators don't make decisions about the reviews on Q's products.   

The reviews are managed and monitored by a company called Bazaarvoice.   I don't know if we, as Q customers, have direct contact with them but the moderators probably can pass suggestions along.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc wrote:

@jackthebear@chrystaltreeI am very careful about checking ingrediants, I've done that many years, but the "you just don't like the product" attatude along with "your probelm you deal with it" is what those of us with all**gies have also dealt with all our lives. Even when we ask, does this product contain whatever, we are lied to. Often the ingrediant isn't listed or maybe it's just under a name we don't recognize. Your reaction is what we've had for years. Your problem you deal with it. It's not that simple. When things around you cause a reaction, you can't just get away from it. I'm not saying those things shouldn't be sold, I'm saying we need to know the ingrediant is there. All**gies sneak up on you, many times you don't know you will react. Those are the times that they should allow it to be put in a review so the next person is aware. The only way any of us find out that we are going to have a problem, is by trying a product and then we learn that product isn't for us. Being able to give a  warning to the next buyer is all I'm asking for.

@shopperqvc.  Any warning should be in the product description and that is Qvc's obligation.  A review is an evaluation of the appearance and/or the performance of the item.  The fact that the purchaser is allergic to it is out of place and inappropriate

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading all the posts in this thread, I have one reply to make in defense of the OP: There are far too many items on the QVC website that do not have full ingredient lists or even in-depth descriptions.

For example, last fall, the ED by Ellen DeGeneres line was selling candles on the Q in adorable little woodland creature figurines. After seeing an advance "sneak peek," I wanted to purchase a bunny for myself and some bunnies, squirrels, and bears to give as gifts. I watched a live presentation to make sure I saw the little guys "in action" and knew what to expect, and then I went online to read the product description before buying. The latter was especially important to me because the host had given some unclear information about whether all the figurines had the same scent or whether there were different scents. In the item listing, there was no information about the candle scents whatsoever, so that made me infer that they were likely all the same. As a result, I was very surprised when each critter had its own scent, and that one of those scents was a perfumy almond one that gave me an asthma attack because it was so strong and awful. Obviously, this was a personal reaction, but I would never have purchased the almondy squirrel if either the on-air presentation or online description had been more thorough. When I gave my review of the item, I didn't mention any allergic reaction—I simply pointed out the difference in scents so others would be aware in making their purchase. I also sent a message to customer service about the missing description details, but nothing ever changed on the page (I checked it again out of curiosity when the figurines went on clearance).

So, long story short, there are definitely times when you can do plenty of investigation into a product before buying it and still have issues when it arrives if the descriptions provided through the Q are not complete or accurate. I don't expect to see an ingredient list for every single item available, but certainly, items such as food or cosmetic/beauty products or scented things that involve potentially sensitive components should be candidates for a published ingredient list.

And I do agree that reviews should be about the product experience, and subjectivity is therefore going to come into play, but it shouldn't be too difficult to be descriptive rather than simply opinionated...though the Q does allow reviews that just say items are ugly without any further helpful details, so who knows?

Thanks for reading! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Obviously, you have a computer or a tablet.  When you see a product presented, go online and check out the ingredients and all the other specifications of the product yourself.  You don't have to wait for the host to mention every single ingredient in every single product.  You don't have a problem, you have total control over this.

You have entirely missed - and then misrepresented - the OP's point. The OP's point: "Please allow a remark about allergies in the reviews of products. That warns the rest of us that have that problem. It's not a slam against the product, it's a warning to others." That's all the OP is asking for - the ability to mention it in a product review, not for the hosts to mention every single ingredient in every single product. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I need to look at ingredients before I buy/use anything. The OP is a kindred spirit! I am also allergic to aloe (and BTW tequila). Aloe is a cactus and many people are allergic to cactus. I don't even look at new "sensitive skin" products anymore because most of them now contain aloe. No, aloe is not soothing to me. It is rashes, bumps, wheeziness and puffed lips and tongue depending on its use.

I receive monthly allergy shots because I'm allergic to the solvent in the new miracle nasal sprays....*.sigh*. Grandparent, parent and siblings with asthma and some with even more snesitive skin than me. Eczema all around and my daughter is highly and dangerously allergic to poison ivy. BUT there are no serious diseases in the big familiy and all elders have lived to ripe old ages so I'm not complaining -- I'm just sharing "war stories".

Respected Contributor

@shopperqvc wrote:

@x HedgeSo you think that a simple warning this product has aloe in it is a crusade? It saves someone from looking through a long list of chemical names to find it. It's not a 1 star review, it's just a take a closer look.

Frankly. I think @x Hedge made that assumption because of the tone of your original post, which did come off as a crusade or a rant and buried the lede in the very bottom. Since none of us read the original review, we have no idea what it said exactly or how it was worded, we only have this thread to use to judge. 

You started off by confusing the issue in your post and if your review went the same way, I can see how it wasn't allowed. You may want to consider trying again and sticking to just the facts.

"I purchased this product but was unable to use it because it has aloe, an ingredient to which I'm allergic." 

That leaves all the details and accusations out AND lets others know it has aloe in it. 

Honored Contributor

I can see why QVC wouldn't allow your review of Pure Grace.  You indicated it might possibly be from the aloe.   Reading your review, it appears you are guessing at what your reaction was from so why would QVC post that? 

Aloe is aloe.  To my knowledge there is no other name for Aloe Vera other than Aloe Bardedense but obviously, still contains the word Aloe so it's obvious. If I were that allergic to something, I would make sure that I read the ingrediants before I ordered anything.  If I failed to do that and then had a reaction, that's on me.  I wouldn't write a review warning people because they might have an allergic reaction to something.  Anyone can have an allergic reaction to anything. So should every review end with "check ingrediants because you might be allergic to something"? 

I agree that QVC needs to do a better job making sure ingrediants are listed for everything.  However, if they aren't listed, I go to another source and check.  I can always find them listed somewhere.  If it's a product exclusive to QVC and the ingrediants aren't listed, you have to decide whether you want to take the chance or not.