Trusted Contributor

I worked in retail for 25 years and I learned that ranting doesn't matter.  It's the bottom line. Replaying the same program all night mite be a bummer for alot of people, but it has made them alot of money. And that is really what it's all about.

A poster a few days ago posted a comment about thing are changing to benefit more to the younger generations. Learning from my own children everything they do is about making money. 

Honored Contributor
  1. Frustrating
  2. Amazon free deliver says 5-8 days and it arrives in two!
  3. Won't trust Christmas delivery after Thanksgiving.
Respected Contributor

I'm not going to order anything for Christmas gifts from them this year. Having worked in a warehouse I can understand issues that arise with shipping especially during the holidays but I've never seen it at this level before. If you order something for Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate three-four months in advance, you should expect it to arrive in a timely manner and not sit in process for days, and not be allowed to cancel it either when you know it won't arrive on time. And with Amazon now promising same or next day delivery for holiday shopping, along with so many other sites that do ship out orders quickly and also offer a discount if you order over a certain amount, QVC needs to bite the bullet and start being competitive, especially when they claim the majority of the items you can't get anywhere else for less.

Esteemed Contributor

In the last month my Q viewing is almost nonexistent.  I check in on a few of the clothing shows that have a brand I'm interested in, check it out and move on in a few minutes (I will watch longer if Courtney Khondabi is hosting).

I'm one who likes Christmas programming on the Q, but now it's just like watching reruns from previous years, in every way possible.  Same old, same old.  They could be rerunning programming from previous years and I wouldn't know the difference.  So today instead of having the Q on in the background I'm listening to Christmas music as a go about my day.

Valued Contributor

while it may appear that qvc is in a lot of trouble, i don't think that they are going out of business any time soon. right now, it seems like they are trying to make changes and get things in place, so to speak, to grow.

having said that, i do think that sales are going down a few percents. for example, i would have thought that the lock n lock tsv would have sold out, but when i looked today, it was still available.

in general, i think that there or more people that are buying less in general, then there are people buying more now, then they did 5 or 10 years ago. and those that took a major financial hit in 2008, are still trying to recover.

the market place has changed.

many products that were only available here, at one point in time, are now available several other places, often at a better price and with free shipping.

and recently, i've seen some companies offer easy pay. while the easy pay is only for about 2 months, its a start. and at some point, who knows, that easy pay system may be made longer to stay competitive.

Esteemed Contributor

@iwrite 

All good points.

However, my own shopping at QVC has gone to $0 from a fair amount in the past.

Just this morning, I probably spent around $500 on various items from other stores....all offering discounts or rewards, free shipping and 2-4 day delivery.

For those reasons alone, I've taken my business elsewhere.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@iwrite 

All good points.

However, my own shopping at QVC has gone to $0 from a fair amount in the past.

Just this morning, I probably spent around $500 on various items from other stores....all offering discounts or rewards, free shipping and 2-4 day delivery.

For those reasons alone, I've taken my business elsewhere.

@Witchy Woman 

what i was trying to say was that there is a place for home shopping channels, but the landscape of online shopping has and is continuing to change. and that so far, in my opinion, the channels aren't keeping up.

for example, as most companies that sell online, love to compare themselves to amazon. so would amazon really would roll out new ordering software or do anything to slow down the processing and shipping or orders during the busiest shopping time of the year? i'd say absolutely not. as i said in another thread, this could have waited until dec 24th, unless it was mandated by the supreme court.

i haven't gotten down to $0 yet, but i'm trying. i have stopped putting things on auto delivery and stopped the ones that i had. like you, i look for free shipping, discounts and rewards. and yes, my xmas shopping was all done elsewhere. if it isn't free shipping, i think about it long and hard and make sure that it isn't available elsewhere.

when online shopping first became a 'thing', there weren't a lot of options. but those days are over!

there are plenty of online shopping options and thankfully, vendors/manufacturers are adding their products to a variety of other web sites, not just to 1 or 2. by that i mean, why pay full price here when the manufacturer or another site has a 30% or more off sale on the same item and free shipping.

the other day, i was looking at the sonicare upcoming tsv toothbrush web page here. it reminded me that i needed to order more brush heads. i looked here. a 6 pack (and not the brush head that i wanted), was $85. i did a double-take.

costco has the sonicare brush head that i wanted and the 6 pack was $32 and free shipping. now where do you think i ordered 2 packs from? those 2  6 packs will last me 3 years. as i don't have a trust fund, i watch how i spend my money.

enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Honored Contributor

It is discouraging to see an organization bring in new leadership, only to see those leaders fail what is supposed to be their #1 priority...their customers.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

Re: Slip sliding away ...

[ Edited ]

@Peggy, Just my thoughts on the TSV: the TSV in prior years seemed "special" because the TSV was not shown in a repetitious loop, over and over again. At the end of an all night "TSV-marathon", the items being sold seem anything but "special". The reiterations make me want to never see the specific TSV again, let alone buy it! 😞 

Trusted Contributor
@Jeanne from VA, totally agree, nothing "special" about them anymore!