Valued Contributor

Shipping - it boggles the mind!

How does this even make any sense, much less economic sense? I order something on 5/2. It doesn't ship until 5/6. It's in a warehouse in SC, and it leaves there, goes south to Georgia, turns around and travels to NJ, passing my state, Maryland. altogether. It stays a day or so in New Jersey, then travels south past my house to a UPS location, where it gets put on a truck that goes (again, past my house) to my post office, where it spends the night or maybe 2 before being delivered to me. It would cost considerably less, not to mention the fuel, and time, to just have the post office send it from SC to me. It's absurd. 

Super Contributor

Re: Shipping - it boggles the mind!

That doesn't make any logical sense, but having the Post Office take over isn't the answer because they have regional bulk mail centers that delay (instead of speed up) the  mail.  I know because decades ago when the bulk mail centers started my father (deceased for twenty plus years now) worked for the Post Office and said those centers were the stupidest thing he'd ever heard of.  Essentially they re-route bulk mail to one of those before it goes on its way.  So that means that if I send a package across town here in Nashville, it will most likely first go to the Memphis bulk mail center and then be back here, a process that extends delivery by at least two days if not more.  Efficiency in business often means backsliding into the "dumb zone" in my opinion! 

Respected Contributor

It does boggle the mind.  This is absolutely the worst company for shipping.  Well. probably Sundance is worse, but this is bad!!

Trusted Contributor

I hear you @Catstamper, I ordered something on 4/30 it didn't ship out until 5/6, which is rediculouis, it arrived at UPS on 5/8 and now they have transfered it to USPS today which means I won't received it until tomorrow, if I'm lucky, 5/10 !  Ten days from PA. to MA  crazy !!!!  

Valued Contributor

I google mapped it. The method they use makes for a 1200 mile trip. The distance betwen the warehouse in SC and my house is 470. Seriously crazy!

Honored Contributor

Also puzzling is why some things continue to arrive prewtty much as promised.  My last 2 orders -  one arrived one day after its EDD, not even surprising for that one because planes are over the nation were flying late or not at all that week.  And then just Tuesday I received an order that wasn't promised for another 3 days and that's as good as almost all the QVC I've had for 25 years and 3 or 4 different addresses!

I doubt my experience is all that uncommon -  when I do listen to QVC, I hear about hundreds and even thousands of orders that came in.  I tend to buy just one item at a time and then I don't often order again until that item has arrived.  Obviously, my procedure isn't what many shoppers do!

Honored Contributor

Sending to your local post office doesn't assure that it will be expeditiously delivered.  Twice in the last month I've had a package arrive there only to be shipped to a suburb of Los Angeles the first time, Phoenix the second.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems the more expensive an item is, the quicker it gets shipped.  Example -- Sunday, I ordered the TSV, Bose radio which costs $300.  It was in processing for a few days and then it started to move.  Delivery -- today.  I could order something less expensive and it just stays in processing and I finally receive close to 2 weeks later.  Has anyone noticed this? 

Respected Contributor

But it DOES make sense. 

No shipping company is going to ship from pt A to pt B directly.  If all the packages in all the world shipped directly from the warehouse to the final destination directly, think of the volume.  

Loading up, say, 1000 packages at once makes it cost effective.  Yes, sometimes a package has to go a weird route, but they are not going to take that one package and deliver it directly or solo.  

It's a hub system, similar to that of airlines.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@coffee drinkerIt's not your imagination -  it's your personal experience.  You know what happened to you.

Our problem with relying on personal experience is that it reflects one or a few of the hundreds of thousands of shipments made in a day.  Even what we see on the boards may not accurately reflect everything that's going on, just more than our own personal experience does.

In my case, the only reason I could know that QVC is having shipping problems is because I read the forums.  If I relied just on what I know from personal experience, I'd think there's no issue at all.  

btw -  both of my most recent Q orders were cheapies -  way less than the Bose.

Guessing about what the problem is based just on personal experience is probably no more reliable or maybe less reliable than the testimony of an eye witness at a murder trial.