Re: Shipping costs are ridiculous!

I agree that shipping is excessively high.  I ordered 4 items this weekend and the total shipping for them is $23.43!!!  Just a small Dooney crossbody had shipping of $10.97 and 2 logo tops (in the same order) came to shipping charges of $3.48 each.   Just assume I were to return each item - that would be $27.80 in return fees for a total of $51.23 in total shipping and return charges.  I bet, using the math, some people don't return items because of the costs.

Come on QVC, you are making big profits.  Pass it on to  your consumers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Iris in bloom - I'm not sure where you live, but the supposed "law" you reference is not broadly applicable; every private company in the country is allowed to set its own standards for when and how it ships orders to customers. As long as the company is actually shipping orders (not just pocketing the money), is not in breach of contractual obligations, and is adhering to the FTC's "Mail, Internet, or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule," there is not much customers can do except wait for their items to arrive—especially in cases where the company provides an "estimated delivery date" as QVC does, setting no firm commitment for deliveries.

In addition, just because a retailer gets some discounts from shipping, it does not have to pass those savings along to customers (and having worked for major companies, I can confirm that the USPS doesn't offer as great a discount as everyone assumes, especially with First-Class deliveries, which comprise the majority of QVC's direct USPS shipments). QVC's business model is built in part on revenues from shipping costs, so in order to keep itself operational, those funds are crucial.

Of course no one wants to pay for shipping, but with QVC, you know you're going to have to do that, so it's literally the cost of doing business. And for all the times we gripe about having to pay $3.50 for each article of clothing or piece of jewelry ordered (which is the standard USPS rate, by the way), those instances are counterbalanced by only having to pay $5.50 for a set of stoneware bakers or $7.50 for a ladder, which would cost three or four times QVC's asking rate to ship.

Honored Contributor

@Iris in bloom wrote:

Agreed, The law states for e-commerce business's you are required to ship an item in no more than 5 to 7 days after you take the customers money, or you have to refund it.  I know shipping costs because I had an e-commerce business, and QVC is taking advantage of the customer. Shipping companies give big discounts to large retail sites. Lands End, for instance, will charge a reasonably low fee for as many items as you want. BTW, they ship it out within 5 days which is the law.

@Iris in bloom, Land's End shipping is expensive if you are ordering just one item that is under the free s/h threshold.  It has deterred me from purchasing.   

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Jane68 wrote:

Good Question! No exchanges were possible as size was not available. So, I returned all four pair. Now I remember why I hardly ever shop the Q anymore.

you can still exchange for a different size. if the size is not available, you will not be charged a return label fee.

What's your policy for exchanges?

If you're not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, our return policy allows you to send back returns-eligible merchandise within 30 days of the date you received the package for an exchange. Simply use the Q Return Label within 30 days of receipt to return your item for a free replacement of the same item in a different color or size. If your request for an exchange results in any additional merchandise or shipping costs, and you paid by credit card, your credit card will be charged for those additional costs. Payment methods other than a credit card may result in an order cancellation & a refund may be issued. If the requested exchange is no longer available, including items on waitlist and advance order, QVC will issue a refund and not deduct the Q Return Label fee.

That is interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you for posting.

I still am waiting for a free shipping day to order anything new.

I have ordered 4 things with free shipping. It works for me.

Valued Contributor

Try mailing something on your own, it certainly is not cheap!

Respected Contributor

Today is a gift!

Respected Contributor

They claim they are going to be making changes; can't happen soon enough.

QVC Customer Care

@Catch71 

Please check your inbox.

Beth QVC