New Contributor

I've been a pretty loyal customer for.....probably over 30 years now, and I JUST discovered something. I always thought that....SOMEHOW.....QVC was also making money on their shipping. Bingo! I happened to notice today that I paid $4.96 shipping for a pair of VERY lightweight Sketchers mules.....which were too big. I used the return label, which QVC so very thoughtfully supplies, and guess what?? QVC is charging me $6.95 to return them! 

Yea.....I could return them myself. But, what am I paying that extra postage FOR??  The convenience of just slapping a label on the box? Gimme a break. Have you noticed that there are a LOT of complaints about your shipping costs?

There are many, many companies that are now offering FREE SHIPPING, at least to ship the products OUT.

WHY DON'T YOU?? 

Super Contributor

@Pam1021 wrote:

I've been a pretty loyal customer for.....probably over 30 years now, and I JUST discovered something. I always thought that....SOMEHOW.....QVC was also making money on their shipping. Bingo! I happened to notice today that I paid $4.96 shipping for a pair of VERY lightweight Sketchers mules.....which were too big. I used the return label, which QVC so very thoughtfully supplies, and guess what?? QVC is charging me $6.95 to return them! 

Yea.....I could return them myself. But, what am I paying that extra postage FOR??  The convenience of just slapping a label on the box? Gimme a break. Have you noticed that there are a LOT of complaints about your shipping costs?

There are many, many companies that are now offering FREE SHIPPING, at least to ship the products OUT.

WHY DON'T YOU?? 

That is nothing new.  QVC has charged return shipping (except for defective merchandise) for years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pam1021, this is nothing new and QVC hasn't been hiding it. It states on the return label (and has for as long as I can remember), that $6.95 for return shipping will be deducted from the refund. I always keep that in mind when I order anything. I know that I generally will not be able to cancel an order, and I will be charged a return postage fee unless the item is defective.

Honored Contributor

Unless you indeed are shopping for convenience sake at the Q, you are just wasting money. Yes, the Q offers a big inventory, but you pay for that. The Q's prices are higher for the same products sold at other online sites. The Q, HSN,etc is big enough now that they should be able to offer free S&H and free returns. They indeed are making money via shipping charges due to the break they get from UPS and USPS for high volume. Evidently people don't care about payng more or the Q would not be able to stay in business.

Valued Contributor

Re: Shame on you, QVC!!

[ Edited ]

I agree the shipping can be a big ripoff, but on return shipping, you have the option to use the "return my way" label and use the carrier of your choice, purchase insurance or not, and send it back in. But I do understand what you are saying. It makes me think long and hard before I order on QVC. My shopping has dropped considerably over the years with them.

Valued Contributor

I feel your pain @Pam1021.  I just returned several items, and lost a good chunk of $$ on postage.  I think QVC’s postage policies need an overhaul.  I wish they would offer the option to waive the return postage fee if merchandise credit is selected (instead of a refund).  I would feel a lot better if I knew those dollars would be used for future purchases.  As it is now, I’m buying less and less!

Esteemed Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

I feel your pain @Pam1021.  I just returned several items, and lost a good chunk of $$ on postage.  I think QVC’s postage policies need an overhaul.  I wish they would offer the option to waive the return postage fee if merchandise credit is selected (instead of a refund).  I would feel a lot better if I knew those dollars would be used for future purchases.  As it is now, I’m buying less and less!

@Beauty Maven ..... I LOVE YOUR SUGGESTION!!!! ... I doubt they will consider it but, who knows? .... maybe you should send a note to corporate 😊

Honored Contributor

I don't like to pay for high shipping fees either.  When I have to do a return, I always have the Post Office give me the price to return the item.

if the price is lower than  $6.95,I'll pay for shipping on my own.  If it is over $6.95,I use the preprinted label.

it's not complicated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shame on you, QVC!!

[ Edited ]

QVC doesn't make any bones about depending heavily on s&h profits to balance the books.  Sometimes it has made the difference between profit and loss.  It's right there on their financial reports. 

Unless you're returning a lightweight piece of jewelry, shipping rates have gone so high, you'll usually save money using the pre-paid label.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, shipping is a profit center.  I imagine return shipping is more to discourage it.