Honored Contributor

Re: SYNCHRONY BANK-Letter about@ Overpayments

Use a different credit card that will allow you to consistently carry a negative balance.

Honored Contributor

Re: SYNCHRONY BANK-Letter about Overpayments

I always pay my credit cards in full, try to charge only what I know I can pay in fuill, no flex or easy pays, keeps it all very simple. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I always pay my credit cards in full, try to charge only what I know I can pay in fuill, no flex or easy pays, keeps it all very simple. 

I also pay my cards in full every month, but I keep it simple by paying the balance and not more.  Why pay more?  Put the rest in a savings account if you're unable to keep it in your checking account.

Valued Contributor

Yes that they handle it the same way.

@Johnnyeager wrote:

This is an outdated antiquated bank.

Any modern financial servicer could handle this with qreat facility and no problem.  No humans should be involved. 

It's no longer 1972 ladies.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Triple3 - I am also a longtime QVC customer and Q Card user, and I've worked with consumer payment systems for a couple of different financial institutions. There are federal regulations that govern the handling of electronic payments, and it is a big headache to document transactions and reimburse customers who frequently submit payments that leave negative balances. (This can also get you into trouble with the government if they determine you're purposely doing this in order to get cash payments from a credit card, but hopefully this is not your situation.) It sounds like you've been doing this for awhile and Synchrony has finally decided they need to implement processes to protect their time and costs.

But guess what? There is a very simple solution for you that you may not be aware of. If you know you want to pay more than your current account balance because you'd like to pay down your Easy Pays more quickly, you can push some of your future Easy Pays to your Q Card to add them to your current billing cycle.

Four or five days before you want to make your Q Card payment (allowing time for the transactions to post to your Q Card), go to My Account > Order Status and click "View Order" to adjust payments for one or more orders. You can choose to pay a single extra installment or your full balance. (Of course, you must have selected the Q Card as your payment method for the Easy Pays to be applied to it.) Then you can submit a payment that aligns with the updated balance. Hopefully, this will help you to pay down your balance more quickly without causing account problems.

Good luck!

ETA: You likely already know this, but you can find your upcoming monthly Easy Pays and dates they'll be applied by clicking the "Easy Pay" link/tab within My Account > Order Status.

Valued Contributor

First let me say I dislike that bank a great deal!

My husband and and I are getting ready to sell out home here in Fl.

We paid all cash when purchased.

The other night I decided to download our credit reports.

Our credit is very good, however I noticed 2 Hard inquiries from that bank/

So I called the number and asked why were they on my report?

The gentleman says "I have no idea" I said "you are the right person to speak to about this yes, he says yes, but I don't have you on our info".

Well this went on and on, him saying he did not know of us, yet we were clearly there,

Never used them and never will, how could a company have us down as an inquiry, yet claim on their end they don't.

Have no idea where to go from here, but before you say stolen identity, I have that protection thingy, so we would have been notified if that were the case.

I'm at a loss here, but that bank..ugh,,,,how could they stay in business?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Southern Sarah wrote:

For what it's worth, Triple3, I totally agree with you!  I have done the same thing on several cards that I knew would have a balance the next month.

Some people just don't seem to get it...oh, well.  

It should be your choice. If a bank can't make that kind of adjustment, they are indeed antiquated, and should be spending some money to update their system.

I hope you can get things worked out. I have never gotten a letter concerning overpayments. (I should probably add - yet).

@Southern Sarah   @Triple3 

Well, since Triple3 seems to be ignoring the questions in the thread she started, can you please enlighten us?  

In this day and age, why would anyone pay more than they owed?   

It's a simple question.  

Seriously .....  WHAT aren't we getting?  

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Do you really think they have a live bookkeeper posting payments in a ledger?

@Desertdi 

LOL ......   Wasn't that over sometime in the 1960's?

Occasional Contributor

Wow!  Didn't expect so many opinions. A consumer Credit Card company should be able to process a payment they receive in any manner the consumer wishes.  All of you are probably aware that you're often told to pay more on your mortgage and it will save you interest and pay down the principal quicker.  The same premise applies here.  If I choose to make 3 of the 5 easy payments this month, instead of one at a time, then I should be allowed to do so---and if that happens to cause a negative balance then it just carries forward to the next month.  The QVC hosts even tell you this from time to time on the air when they are explaining EZ pay to customers. 

It is obvious to me that Synchrony Bank has an outdated processing system and cannot handle the payment structure that QVC allows its customers.  QVC needs to find a better credit card company if they want to stay viable in the consumer market with all of the 'pay as you go', Venmo, etc. applications popping up for consumers to take advantage of or they be left in the dust.

Trusted Contributor

As much as you may want Synchrony to do what you want them to do, they are running a successful business and wouldn't have sent the letter if they planned to change.  

An additional mortgage payment is a completely different issue because there is always a balance left.  

As someone else suggested your best option is to go to your easy pays and check off more of them to pay at a time.