Occasional Contributor

SYNCHRONY BANK-Letter about Overpayments

I have been a QVC customer for over 25 years.  I have always used the Easy Pay option when warranted.  Over the years, I have made payments over and above what was called for in the overall monthly payment amount due.  On ooccasion, I have received checks from Synchrony Bank because of having a negative balance.  This week I received a letter from Synchrony Bank advising me that if I continue to make overpayments, they will close my Qcard account.

I immediately called QVC Customer Service becasue I wanted them to know how their company that handles billing is sending out letters to customers who pay their bills.

I also called Synchrony Bank about the matter and was told that thier system simpy cannot handle excess payments of what is due.  After a lenghty conversation with them, I realized I was getting nowhere with them.

Moral of the story, I will continue to pay my accounts as I have done for the past 25 years or so.  If Synchrony Bank decides they do not want my money, then QVC will lose a long-standing customer!

Trusted Contributor

Re: SYNCHRONY BANK-Letter about Overpayments

I always pay more than the minimum due with no issues, so I don't think that's what you mean.  If you mean when they have to refund you back money, I can see that causing them an issue because it may need to be handled as an exception.  

Honored Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

I always pay more than the minimum due with no issues, so I don't think that's what you mean.  If you mean when they have to refund you back money, I can see that causing them an issue because it may need to be handled as an exception.  

It sounds like she is paying more than the total amount due because she knows there will be a balance once the next EZ pays get added to the account and she wants to get ahead of the game when she has the extra money.  But, it would seem that by the time the bill is due, the next EZ pays would already be in the system for the next month.  So, it's odd they wouldn't just put it against that balance.

Respected Contributor

I have a department store card I dont use often and when I have a credit they issue me a check, it must be a law that they have to do that witiin a certain time frame.  I could see that it would be a pain in the neck.  I always pay my balances off monthly so if i was to return something end up with a credit.  Most cards I end up buying again so it doesn't happen but I think Kohls issued me a check once.

Respected Contributor

I always pay over the monthly billing amt and I have never received such a letter. I would think they would be happy to have a customer with such an excellent payment history !  Are you paying them when you don't have a balance due ? 

Respected Contributor

I think she is paying over the total amount due.  They woudn't care if there was still an amount owed and they didn't have to issue a check.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always overpay on a number of my accounts and it's never, ever been a problem.

I like to round up.

I've never received a check.

There's just a negative balance.  No big deal.

Synchrony Bank seems to have software from the 1980s.  They still have bookkeepers doing paper work over gaslit lamps? 

Respected Contributor

If you're receiving money back than it sounds as if you are over paying beyond the total balance due and carrying a negative balance. That sounds like an unnecessary bookkeeping  headache. (Especially in this day and age where many offices have a staff shortage.)

Yes, they are then required to reimburse you the money accrued within a certain time frame. Wouldn't you rather have that money in your bank earning even a slight bit of interest? 

If you honestly enjoy shopping here, why continue a behavior that would jeopardize your account? They've asked you to stop overpaying. Why wouldn't you? Or use another credit card. Perhaps they'll eventually tell you the same thing. I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind pushing the limits. Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Honored Contributor

@Triple3    Synchrony is a bank, not a part of QVC.  If you are paying more than your total bill, they probably have no way of knowing why?   They don't have access to your total QVC account - just to whatever QVC tells them your payment is.

If you want to pay more than Synchrony bills you, first pay that bill and then call customer service at QVC.  The reps will know how to help you.

Respected Contributor

I tried to get an issue with Synchrony Bank resolved several years ago involving a charge I never made to a credit card I never had. Someone had sold them late accounts and I got past due notices for money I didn't owe. It was for custom draperies from a department store i had never heard of. I have never had or wanted custom draperies. The bill was about $3200 so they must have been pretty nice!  It  took me two years to get the issue resolved with an attorney. Synchrony seems to have a rigid system that doesn't allow for any errors on their part.