Honored Contributor

Re: Reviewer dissing Harry Slatkin's Homeworx products

@Venezia wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I appreciate all reviews, but I take them,especially the super negative ones with a grain of salt. As adults we should all be able to come to our own conclusions and not try to get others censured for opinions you do not agree with. I applaud the Q for appreciating the fact that we can think for ourselves.

@blackhole99- I understand the point you're making, but there is no justification for allowing someone to "review" a product he/she hasn't even purchased.

How do you review an item under those circumstances?  By what you saw on TV?  What you heard from others?  Or just because of the fact you don't like a particular vendor or host (for whatever reason, since none of us know them personally)?

That's not a review, it's a bias.

@Venezia  well there you go, IYO the reviewer is biased and no one so far, is calling for you to censured. We are all adults and respect each others opinion, right? We don't have to call a poster out over candle now, do we.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99- I will concede that we have different opinions on the definition of what constitutes a "review" and leave it at that.

Esteemed Contributor

QVC allows people to give their opinions about products.  One does not have to actually have purchased a product to leave a review.  And yes, it is unfair to the vendor.

Valued Contributor

I am a little late in reading blogs, but we are iced in, so it is catch up time. I believe I know the reveiwer you refer to and they can be a little harsh. It saddens me to leave some poor reveiws on Homeworx products, but I do. I try to be honest and fair. My only hope is with enough complaints about a Homeworx product, he will see the need to fix the problem. I have nothing but his candles and have been a long time fan since the beginning. I want to get the same great quality he has had in the past. When candles drown out or the scent is not there, he needs to know along with buyers. It has been a hit or miss with his candles this past fall/winter. However, I do see the reveiwer mentioned is really frustrated with his products of late and is very verbal about it.

Contributor

but according to his reviews, HE HASN'T EVEN PURCHASED THEM!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is absolutely no reason for the Q to permit reviewers who have not purchased the item.  Period.  Most retailers verify the purchase, no?  

ETA - and what I really don't understand is why would anyone want to take the time and effort to leave a review when he/she doesn't own the item?  I mean really.

Respected Contributor

I know HSN catches this and will not allow one to write a review if you have not purchased it. I tried once to review something I bought a few years ago and was not allowed to do so. They invite reviews but often too soon to evaluate, at least for me. I often have to use something for awhile. Perhaps Q should have the same requirement.

New Contributor

Oh my gosh, I know EXACTLY who you are talking about and I am pretty positive they have now created yet another user name and are doing it under this new name.  I reported so many of their reviews, I even joked and asked if it was possibly an ex-wife or something!  The person is absolutely whacko in what they say in the reviews.  Keep an eye out and you will see the other name being used because reviews are almost identical and brings up the whicks and Viet Nam AGAIN!!!!  

Frequent Contributor

I so agree with the lady that is denouncing the person that was critizing Harry's candles. We love Harry and his candles - if you do not so be it, but stop trying to hurt a decent human being who sells lovely candles.

Frequent Contributor

I agree - if  shedid not purchase the candle her review is worthless. How dishonest!!!!