Contributor

Returning items With No Nasty Letters from QVC Saying I Buy/Return too Much

The QVC hosts stress that there is a 30 return policy. I buy a lot, I return a lot. Then I get a snide letter from the Q telling me not to return so much.  If I'm in a local store I have the option of seeing, touching & purchasing & also returning anything I buy. On the Q I see but am unable to touch items or try on clothing b4 making the decision to purchase. Many things looks good on TV but cheap in person. At times a style looks great on a 6' tall model but when it arrives here it looks bad on my figure, or I hate the material, so I return it.  I like the option of 30 day returns. I don't like the letters chastising me for returning these items.  I have not heard any of any restrictions on how many items may be returned in a 30 day period. The return costs are high so I don't make the decision to send things back lightly. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Returning items With No Nasty Letters from QVC Saying I Buy/Return too Much

There should be no nasty letters since policy states you have 30 days to return.  I try and return items not liked quickly...usually within a day or two.  Maybe policy needs an update rather than annoying customers?

Honored Contributor

I would think you must return many purchases to receive such a letter. If you read the description and check the measurements I don't see the need for all of the returns. If something is wrong on QVC's end you don't have to pay to return, so I don't understand why you are having issues with them. 

Honored Contributor

@vmli @Gabidog @RetRN @What is wrong is that QVC never mentions anything about making too many returns on air or anywhere else. They mislead by making statements about how buyers can return items over and over. I'd like QVC to be more upfront about this policy. I'm not sure how they should go about this, but they should make this clear to their customers. 

Respected Contributor

@vmli - It is certainly true that there is a 30 day return policy, but it is also true, although not stated explicitly by QVC or any other vendor that I am aware of, that too many returns cause undesirable financial strains on a company. Repackaging, restocking, altering online availability numbers for items, refunding money to the customer, dealing with returned items that may be damaged by the customer unintentionally, all cost money and take time to process.  If any business receives too many items back on a regular basis, the business will go under. 

If the clothing ordered from a particular vendor does not fit properly, no further items from them should be ordered. That said, mistakes are sometimes made and the wrong size of an item, or even the wrong item, can be sent to a customer. I don't think mistakes made by a vendor should count as a strike against the customer, but when a customer returns too many things, and they were the correct items and sizes, then I can understand how that would be not only undesirable, but costly to a business.  

I am sure there are vendors out there that would have exactly what you want, but you might find those items more easily inside of a physical store. 

I find that for me, it takes a huge leap of faith to order shoes online, and sometimes I do have to return them if the shoes ordered pinch my feet.  I recently got very lucky with a new pair of Clarks ballet flats I ordered on QVC.  They fit and look quite nice!  

Respected Contributor

Seems to me last time I saw someone complain they got "The Letter" that poster admitted to something like a 70% return rate. 

QVC offers a 30 day return. They accept your returns. You make a purchase, you can return it. That doesn't change. If I'm not mistaken the letter informs a buyer that at some point if your percentage of returns continue they will freeze your account. You would then be unable to buy, since how much are you actually buying anyway? 

Returns cost a company money. Cost that one can assume gets passed on to other customers, actual purchasing customers. All retailers address return abuse. I personally think a 70% return rate is extremely generous. 

I don't think it should be necessary for QVC to spend airtime on something that I suspect pertains to a very few. As I said, all retailers have a policy. 

Honored Contributor

That letter is not based on sales/returns in a 30 day period, it's based on sales vs. returns on a quarterly basis.

If that many QVC items that you order don't work out for you, you may want to find an online shopping experience other than QVC.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

I don't buy an item a day during the 30 day period of grace, so it's hardly a lot. Every single designer's clothes sizing runs differently from the size chart.  I wear a large in Joan Rivers things and an XL in Mizrahi's line. Even if the item fits it may not look good on my figure.  I make returns within 2 or 3 days of receipt. Ms. Parr-Hill, Martha Stewart & Luminara's  things are always up to a high standard while other home decor companies may not be. You don't know until it arrives. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You would think that at some point a person would know what sorts of styles work for them, and what styles don't work for them.

Same with fabrics - after one order - you should know whether or not the fabric is acceptable. 

For instance - I know I don't like liquid knit - so I don't order anything in liquid knit.  Same with most knit pants - I don't like them and don't buy them.

Honored Contributor

While I don't question the validity of your returns, my suggestion is to stop ordering from them. I rarely return anything so it works for me. Also, I buy about twenty items a year and consider my purchases carefully.