Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Return form is very confusing.

I'm doing a return and have a return form with the usual sticky USPS label (no UPS) plus my info and the order details on the same side. On the reverse are instructions on how to do the return, which are on the back of the order details portion, and the "Enclose This Portion with Your Item(s)" section, which is on the back of the label section. The problem is that the "enclose this portion" doesn't include the order details. That doesn't make sense.

The other problem is that you're supposed to enclose the form in the box, then put on the label (or that's the way I do it and I'd think many people do it that way, too).  But you have to remove the label and stick it somewhere temporarily so you can put the rest of the form (and I'm sending the entire form back to be safe) in the box. I usually affix the label to the box across the top where the flaps meet after sealing it. I also tape down the label top and bottom, taking care to avoid covering the bar codes because tape can interfere with the reading.

For my customary practices, having the label on the back of the form that has to go into the box to be sealed is not an improvement and could create problems if the label winds up being attached to other papers, etc., before I get it onto the box.

The instructions need to be clearer, too, because as it reads and given the perforations, people will probably return just the bottom section with return directions, which doesn't have identifying info. There is a separate section in the same area as the label that might embed the info, but the problem with that is the fact that other forms, like HSN's, include a strip with a bar code as a proof of the return that you're supposed to retain. That may lead people to keep this piece. I photocopy everything and retain those copies as documentation, so that's not a problem for me.

I am assuming in all of this that the box with the shipping label, which may include identifiers, is likely to be separated from its contents. Or at least whoever's designing these labels should make that assumption.

Or am I missing some horribly obvious reason this has been done this way, and my brain is what needs the redesign?

Honored Contributor

Re: Return form is very confusing.

[ Edited ]

I have my receipt with return label attached.

The only part you put in the box for the return is the very bottom of the page where it has a perforated edge. Tear or cut the return part & put it inside the box you are returning. After you have it taped & ready to go than remove the label from the back of your receipt to attach to your box. That way it will not get stuck to anything.

The return portion of your label you put inside the box has your name & item number of your purchase on it so they know who it's coming from & what you are returning. There is also a bar code with number on it which I'm sure tells QVC what they need to know.

I also make a copy of my receipt before removing any part of it.

Trusted Contributor

Well @noodleann , I can clarify one of your queries....

When using the return shipping label, whether it be "postage pre-paid" or "return your way", thereon lies a bar code identifying the purchase, order, item no.  This in and of itself identifies the return.   Unfortunately, your assumption that the contents is likely to be separated from its contents is just that - an assumption.  That includes the designers who create these labels and their assumptions.  Never assume.

I totally agree with you with regard to the adhesive portion being on the same peel away as the portion to be included with the item you're returning.  I've often had to adhere that return label on another piece of similar backing to remove once again.  Complicated but not undoable.  Regardless, the powers that be should make it easier.

The instructions are quite clear for the average consumer.  If misunderstood by anyone the first time, they'll figure it out the next time round - this isn't preschool.

p.s. your brain is just fine.  It is the rest of the consumers that perhaps shouldn't purchase things through the mail back and forth if they find it to be too 'confusing'.  

Honored Contributor

@noodleannsaid

"But you have to remove the label and stick it somewhere temporarily so you can put the rest of the form "

Put the label on the box before sealing it.  No need to look somewhere to put it.

Labels can be scanned if you're using clear tape, or put the label on the side of the box.  

I remove the old label from the box, then put the return label in the same spot, the return receipt inside, then seal it.

For a plastic bag, I use a black marker to cover the old label info, put the return label on the other side of the bag because it's smaller than the sent label, insert the item to be returned, then the return receipt inside the bag, then seal it.  On bags, labels go on better if it's lying flat with nothing inside.  

Honored Contributor

The label is folded closed and is sticky and difficult to.open but if you'll persist and open it, all will become clear.  I can see many people with vision or dexterity problems having difficulty with this

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

@noodleannsaid

"But you have to remove the label and stick it somewhere temporarily so you can put the rest of the form "

Put the label on the box before sealing it.  No need to look somewhere to put it.

Labels can be scanned if you're using clear tape, or put the label on the side of the box.  

I remove the old label from the box, then put the return label in the same spot, the return receipt inside, then seal it.

For a plastic bag, I use a black marker to cover the old label info, put the return label on the other side of the bag because it's smaller than the sent label, insert the item to be returned, then the return receipt inside the bag, then seal it.  On bags, labels go on better if it's lying flat with nothing inside.  

@Foxxee 

Why do you have to remove the label & stick it some place temporarily?

Why can't you just remove it after you put the return portion in the box & tape it closed?

@Kachina624 

My label is not a sticky mess. It unfolds easily?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzasked @Foxee

"Why do you have to remove the label & stick it some place temporarily?

Why can't you just remove it after you put the return portion in the box & tape it closed?"

The OP explains.  Return to see what she said.  

It involves the way some of QVC's labels and return receipts are set up.  Not all are laid out the same way.  I  even had some that appeared to come from a table top printer with no sticky on the backs.  I had to cut them out and tape on the box.  I also had some where the return receipt wasn't more than 1 1/2 inches high, others maybe 3 inches.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Nightowlzasked @Foxee

"Why do you have to remove the label & stick it some place temporarily?

Why can't you just remove it after you put the return portion in the box & tape it closed?"

The OP explains.  Return to see what she said.  

It involves the way some of QVC's labels and return receipts are set up.  Not all are laid out the same way.  I  even had some that appeared to come from a table top printer with no sticky on the backs.  I had to cut them out and tape on the box.  I also had some where the return receipt wasn't more than 1 1/2 inches high, others maybe 3 inches.  

@Foxxee 

I had no idea they did not use the same type of receipts. 

What do I know since I don't order much.

Thanks for clarifying. I could not figure out what the problem was.

Honored Contributor

You are overthinking this.  I'll let you in on a little secret.  That bar code contains everything they need to get a refund to you.  So if that slip is gone, no big deal unless you wanted an exchange.  I once sent a $100.00 skin care item back and forgot to enclose the paperwork.  I figured that was the end of my money, they never would find me.  It took a little longer, and I'm sure a tolerant person in the returns dept., but they found me and credited my return.  This extra effort is one of the reasons I stick with QVC.

Respected Contributor

For plastic bags, I turn them inside out. I have an unmarked bag for the return label, without having to alter the original one.

Plus, the original label is still intact with the order information.