New Contributor

Received a FB message from QVC on my mother's order -No Permission

[ Edited ]

Recieved a FB message telling me my order was shipped-I did not order anything but my mother did- We are not connected and she does not use my laptop-she uses the QVC app. I may have accessed her account a few months ago to help her with an order from my laptop but my email or FB is not connected to her account at all. I checked to see if either one of us had the FB messenger option was clicked and they were NOT- How did this happen? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Received a FB message from QVC on my mother's order -

Obviously FB has some very serious security issues.

Good luck straightening it out.

New Contributor

I don't think it's only FB- How did QVC connect my FB with my mother's QVC account? 

Super Contributor

@dinajay  I have had this same problem with my daughter receiving FB messages on orders I have placed (I have posted previously on this topic).  One was a Chrismas present for her. :-(  We have shared a computer before, but only occasionally when she is home from college.  I don't even have Facebook.  The only solution I received was "be sure the FB Messenger box is not checked with you place an order". Very frustrating and scary that this can happen!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Received a FB message from QVC on my mother's order -No Permission

You would be shocked at how much FB tracks you, and connects you to other people. They also have the ability to take information off of your computer, like your address book info, etc. They also use facial recognition and don’t really delete your information when you shut down your account. 

I deleted my FB account last year, after I realized they had “hacked” into my computer information. But I really missed my sewing groups.  I usually use Apple products, and all of my info is shared between my devices. 

So I got a Windows Fusion 5 tablet and tried opening my account without my full name. All was good until I used the same photo of myself that I had used for my old account. They then started to fill my account with friend suggestions of everyone I had been associated with in my old account. 

Ok, that was fine because there was no information that they could pull off of my “vanilla” device.  And I only used this device for FB and Instagram.  But, I started noticing that I was seeing ads popping up from sites I had visited on my iPad!   I believe they are able to do this because companies are also sharing your information with them. I deleted the account last week and won’t go back to FB.  

They are an insidious company. Once you open an account with them, they worm their way into all phases of your life.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

@dinajay wrote:

Recieved a FB message telling me my order was shipped-I did not order anything but my mother did- We are not connected and she does not use my laptop-she uses the QVC app. I may have accessed her account a few months ago to help her with an order from my laptop but my email or FB is not connected to her account at all. I checked to see if either one of us had the FB messenger option was clicked and they were NOT- How did this happen? 

Months ago I placed an order and if I had not caught it there was a box at the top of the page that asked if I wanted to connect to Facebook and share my purchase and immediately I unchecked the box. I am seeing this option on several online sites these days and some are even asking if I want to sign in using my social media...ahhhh NOOOOO. I would check your mother's settings on QVC and ensure the block is not checked that links her/your account to Facebook/Messenger.

Honored Contributor

Facebook admittedly has been lying all along about their lack of security.  A huge boycott would straighten them out in a hurry, but it won't happen.  

QVC Customer Care

@dinajay wrote:

Hi @dinajay  Thank you for posting in our Community Custoemr Care forum. This likely happened because when she placed an order on QVC.com, there was a box to opt in to receiving order and shipment confirmations through Messenger, your mom's Facebook Messenger account was actually active on the same device (phone/PC/tablet.) Your mom's Messenger account was likely the designated one if it was already open and active on that device. We can opt her out of these confirmations, please have her email us at QVCSocialTeam@qvc.com with her account information and we can help. Thank you,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dinajay and @LoveMeSomeQVC,    If you use either the mobile apps or the apps on the Facebook site (including Messenger), this might be a result of permissions granted.   

Some of them are extremely invasive and allow full access to all our "Contacts" and all the information there -- and then companies are able to cross-reference information (such as email addresses, for example) in the contacts lists.

I never, ever use any of the apps on the Facebook site and I only use the full website version of Facebook (never download their apps onto my mobile devices) because the permissions granted are so invasive.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

She does not have facebook and she never has had one but I still checked to see if the FB box  was checked and it was not- If it was she doesn't have an account so it wouldn't have mattered - QVc and FB are apparently working togther somehow