Honored Contributor

@fthunt    OP didn't return anything --  she got a price adjustment.  Some companies don't do that at all.  It's a courtesy, not legal a requirement.  At least any place I have lived.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt    Except that the majority of shoppers use easy pay so a refund would be negligible.  The OP was referring to a price difference refund which is usually less than $10., making a potential tax refund less than .80¢.

You don't know if the OP used easy pay. You're assuming they did.

Frequent Contributor

KACHINA, Just FYI, how much spare time I have on my hands is none of your business nor is how much money I have or have not nor do I use E-Z Pay.  That wsn't the issue and I was not addressing you, I was addressing Customer Care.   HSN as well as B&M  stores returns your tax money without hesitation under all circumstances. 

For all you other ladies I'm sorry I haven't seen this addressed before because I don't have the time to sit here all day.  However, I do apperciate your kind responses and I do believe it might be against the law not to return money that doesn't belong to them.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ValuSkr   I have no idea whether qvc can or cannot return sales taxes because I don't know the laws.

@millieshops   That's okay.  You may not know, but, as an accountant who has done multi-state sales tax returns, I do

Esteemed Contributor

It looks like there is some confusion here. QVC's policy is to offer a price adjustment within 30 days of purchase based on a change in the cost of an item—not the shipping and handling and not the tax.

Nothing is being changed about the original transaction, which required tax to be applied based on the specific details of the purchase at that time. When QVC gives a customer a price adjustment, it is not a refund, but a proactive courtesy payment (that is, the customer does not receive any kind of transaction reversal—they receive a credit). And as has been noted earlier in this thread, QVC is not keeping any of the tax funds; it is required to submit them to the appropriate government agencies for processing.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr    Since QVC turns the taxes collected over to the appropriate taxing authority, wouldn't those claiming a refund have to apply to that authority for a refund?  You do mention claiming it on your state income tax.  What if there is none or the taxing authority is a city or county?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt    Except that the majority of shoppers use easy pay so a refund would be negligible.  The OP was referring to a price difference refund which is usually less than $10., making a potential tax refund less than .80¢.

@qbetzforreal   As I explained above, the OP was referring to a refund on a price reduction.  That's what she said; I didn't assume anything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qbetzforreal   As I explained above, the OP was referring to a refund on a price reduction.  That's what she said; I didn't assume anything.

@Kachina624- You're right. My comment should have been addressed to your first insulting post to the OP. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ValuSkr    Since QVC turns the taxes collected over to the appropriate taxing authority, wouldn't those claiming a refund have to apply to that authority for a refund?  You do mention claiming it on your state income tax.  What if there is none or the taxing authority is a city or county?

@Kachina624   Yes, to the first question.  But it's far easier for the customer to get a refund from the retailer. If the retailer refuses - well, it's bad business to make the customer jump through hoops to claim a small amount from the state.

On the second question, I imagine the method of recouping local sales tax depends on the state or municipality.  Again, if the retailer is customer-oriented, it will handle sales tax correctly from the get-go so the customer doesn't have this hassle.

Generally speaking:  Sales tax is assessed on the retailer, and the retailer allowed to pass it along to customers provided that it's itemized separately on customer receipts.  The retailer pays sales tax on its NET sales.  If it routinely charges sales tax only on GROSS sales, without crediting sales tax on returns and allowances, it will have a windfall, potentially large, which is not in the spirit of most states' sales tax laws.

Contributor

CPA here - although sales tax is not my speciality, QVC is correct on this matter. It is too complicated to explain, but the sales tax is charged BEFORE THE DISCOUNT.

As an example, when walking through Costco, often on the price markers for items on sale it is indicated that the tax will be charged on the full retail price, not the discounted price.

Same with coupons - sales tax is charged before coupons are discounted.

Each State has their own laws regarding sales tax, but most follow the example presented above.