Honored Contributor

Mods:  I posted a thread under TSV about today's Robert Lee Morris Big Deal on Q2.  The Peace sign necklace is upside down.  It cannot be changed to just turn right side up (there's a soldered bale holding it in place).  Yet the necklace in all ads and photos for the Big Deal have the necklace correctly.  Here it is --- J354660.

So what will I get if I buy this necklace?  The model, Antonella, and the necklace on the bust on the table ALL have the Peace sign upside down.  Weird.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question: Q2 Big Deal RLM

GREAT!!!  I just ordered the peace sign!!  If I cannot turn it right side up, I will send it back.  PRONTO!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

unfortunately, the entire video is not available. during part of the antonella video, she says he is going to explain why it is not the usual looking peace sign.

i do see what you mean though that some of the photos show it one way, and the live video shows it another way.....so you really dont know what you may get.

maybe this is the reason why?

With arms raised UP as a symbol of life, celebration and JOY.  
An individual pro-peace symbol... rather than a (despair-filled) "anti-war" symbol.    

http://www.peacepositive.com/uploads/5/2/9/6/5296966/2233967.jpg?575

via peacepositive.com

Holtom eventually came to sincerely regret the symbol of despair and wanted the symbol to be inverted UPWARDS.  In fact, for the remainder of his life he would only draw the upright peace symbol, and his last dying wish was that the upright version be placed on his tombstone. Unfortunately, his dying wish was ignored.  

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
QVC Customer Care

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Mods:  I posted a thread under TSV about today's Robert Lee Morris Big Deal on Q2.  The Peace sign necklace is upside down.  It cannot be changed to just turn right side up (there's a soldered bale holding it in place).  Yet the necklace in all ads and photos for the Big Deal have the necklace correctly.  Here it is --- J354660.

So what will I get if I buy this necklace?  The model, Antonella, and the necklace on the bust on the table ALL have the Peace sign upside down.  Weird.

@Caaareful Shopper   We ask the Buying team about this, below was the response.

Susan Q-Social

This will be upside down. It is a reference to eternal peace that Robert will speak to on air. It cannot be changed, the pendant is fixed on the necklace.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan-QVC wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper   We ask the Buying team about this, below was the response.

Susan Q-Social

This will be upside down. It is a reference to eternal peace that Robert will speak to on air. It cannot be changed, the pendant is fixed on the necklace.

@Susan-QVC  Thank you for the response!  There will be much confusion when customers get it home since Robert was not at all clear about it intentionally being upside down.  In fact, when it's upside down like that, it's not the Peace sign at all -- Robert explained that alternate, upside down meaning.  Now the video is taken down completely, and most of the images online for the Peace necklace have been taken down and replaced with the upside down Peace necklace.

Robert himself said, "I'm a little confused.  What I'm looking at is not the Peace sign, it's upside down.  That's the sign of the Elk..."  He said "some of these are upside down, and they cannot be switched."

In addition, the photos at the Q2 item # page have the Peace sign right side up, here it is, as we are used to seeing it.  

RLM Peace.jpg

But it's also positioned upside down on the website as well:

RLM Motifs.jpg

But OK.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper I just cancelled my order.  I am grasping at straws but I believe the manufacturer made a mistake and attached the pendant to the chain upside down.  On the product page is shows the pendant with the arms reaching upward.  The peace pendant is still available but wasn't presented at noon.  At least I didn't see it.  The whole QVC2 presentation with Antonella was off. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman  I really wanted the Peace motif necklace, that's why I watched the presentaton.  It's gone (whether it sold out or they took it off sale).  I agree with you in that it was manufactured incorrectly.  But the question is whether they all came like that, or were some made right and some made wrong? 

I just know what Robert said.  He noted it was a mistake and he was confused.  For the Buyers to say customers will get the upside down Peace sign necklace says to me that they have to sell the mistake to ensure it's not a total write-off.  Hopefully some people will actually like wearing an Elk sign motif necklace. 

Honored Contributor

will let you know what i receive.

i am keeping my order because i like the symbol either way......and i LOVE that the original designer wanted it changed......it is an interesting story and symbol when it is the other way and i will be happy to share the story with anyone who questions it.

no, i am not an ELK. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recorded the show and watched it last night.  I heard Robert's explanation and I don't think he was confused about the design being "upside down".  I think he was confused that it was called a peace sign under the choices.

He said it was the symbol of an ancient rune (called Elk in English), meaning protection from evil.  He explained how the ancient rune got flipped in the 60s to form what we now call the peace symbol (although, technically, it's the CND symbol).

I think it's the way he designed it - with the Y up.  I also saw the photo of the one with the Y down; makes you wonder what went on in the factory.  I thought perhaps the chain could be threaded through the bale to reverse it, but perhaps not.

Honored Contributor

thanks so much for that explanation @Venezia.

i know on the video i watched, antonella said that the "upside down peace sign" had a special meaning and robert would talk about it later, but 15 minutes in they cut the online video.